Get-Credential Error due to local cert being used

I’ve recently encountered an error when attempting to connect to O365 and Azure from my machine. The error is related to the get-credential prompt forcing a local user certificate instead of the user account information. E.g. I type in my UPN and it automatically selects a local cert from my user store.

A workaround was opening a ISE session as another user account, but curious what the cause is and if I can disable it?

Recent updates on local Windows 10 client:

1. Windows 10 1703
  2. Sapien PowerShell Studio 2017 updated 5.4.140
  3. STD Windows Updates as of July

Many TIA!

I’ve seen a few people posting about this. It’s on Microsoft’s end; there’s nothing I’m aware of that you can do on your end to change what it’s defaulting to. There’s an icon difference on that credential dialog that usually cues you that it’s doing this.

I think you posted on twitter about this, too ;). I’m hoping someone actually files this as a support ticket with Azure/O365 to get to the bottom of it.

Creating a ticket now… However, not holding my breath…

Cross-posted on Twitter as well. https://twitter.com/SysAdmnNinja/status/884580583283806209

Finally got a callback from P.Support and we found that they’ve now corrected the bug. It correctly allows the users credentials and treat the certificate login differently (removes the password entry field by graying it out).

No official excuse, but they mentioned there have been a lot of complaints since 1703 was released into the wild for CB users.