Get-ChidItem Piped to Copy-Item

Below is the Sample Code

1. Am trying to Copy files from one Folder to another folder using below code but it does not copy

Method 1 (It does not copy anything, it only creates a file with $FolderName)

$Date = Get-Date -UFormat “%Y%m%d”
$FolderName = "D:\SONPD" + $Date.ToString()
Get-ChildItem -Path "D:\Production_Backup" -Exclude SONPDA | Copy-Item -Destination $FolderName

Method 2 (throws below Error)

$Date = Get-Date -UFormat “%Y%m%d”
Get-ChildItem -Path "D:\Production_Backup" -Exclude SONPDA | Select -ExpandProperty FullName | Copy-Item -Path $_.FullName -Destination $FolderName

Error

Copy-Item : Cannot bind argument to parameter ‘Path’ because it is null.
At line:3 char:113

• … opy-Item -Path $_.FullName -Destination $FolderName
  •                ~~~~~~~~~~~

• CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:slight_smile: [Copy-Item], ParameterBindingValidationException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.CopyItemCommand

Can some please help me on this to figure whats going wrong.

Number 1 should work. Without knowing the exact structure of your folder/filesystem there though its hard to tell what is going on. Using the same three lines on a similar folder setup on my machine works just fine (as long as you were looking to only go one level deep with the copy)

Number 2 throws an error because once you do select -expandProperty it no longer has a property name of fullname and you need to wrap it in a foreach-object so that line becomes:

Get-ChildItem -Path "D:\Production_Backup\" -Exclude SONPDA | Select -ExpandProperty FullName | foreach-object{Copy-Item -Path $_ -Destination $FolderName}

If you just do

Get-ChildItem -Path "D:\Production_Backup\" -Exclude SONPDA 

Do you see the expected output?

Paul,
Thanks for the quick reply.
MY Folder Structure is as below
D:\Production_Backup
SONPDA (Folder)
1.dat (File)
2.dat (File)
3.log (File)
4.bcf (File)

As per your statement

1. Get-ChildItem -Path "D:\Production_Backup" -Exclude SONPDA | Select -ExpandProperty FullName | foreach-object{Copy-Item -Path $_ -Destination $FolderName}

This is creating just a file Name with $FolderName

1. Get-ChildItem -Path "D:\Production_Backup" -Exclude SONPDA (according to my structure) am getting the below correct out put

1.dat (File)
    2.dat (File)
    3.log (File)
    4.bcf (File)

Can you show the EXACT output of this command

Get-ChildItem -Path "D:\Production_Backup"

Thanks

Hi Richard,

Please find the below out put which list all files and folder SONPDA

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name

d---- 9/6/2017 11:59 PM SONPDA
-a— 9/6/2017 10:00 PM 17053184 HDR9_SDB_SiteBackup.dat
-a— 9/6/2017 10:00 PM 843 SONPD.bcf
-a— 9/6/2017 10:00 PM 2372 SONPDBackup.log
-a— 9/6/2017 10:00 PM 673468928 SONPD_CatalogBackup.dat
-a— 9/6/2017 10:00 PM 429038080 SONPD_Model_Backup.dat

Hi All,

I have tried the below Code also it does not work

D:\Rooster\Scripts> $Date = Get-Date -UFormat “%Y%m%d”
$Files = Get-ChildItem -Path ‘D:\Production_Backup*’ -Exclude SONPDA | Select -Property Name,@{label=“Path”;Expression ={$_.FullName}} | Select -Property Path

foreach ($sFile in $Files)
{
Copy-Item -LiteralPath $sFile.Path -Destination $FolderName -Recurse (with or without -Recurse its not working)
}

Hi All,

Any advise and help on this please

Thanks
Rajkumar

Method 1 in your first post works if the folder in the destination path exists, if it doesn’t exist copy-item creates a file with the same name. With your script you need to create a folder with the current date as name before you try to copy files to it.

Eric,

It worked thanks for the help. highly appreciated.

Rajkumar