Get-ADOrganizationalUnit count members

Hi,

I’m a begginer in powershell and i encounter an issue with my little script

This is my code :

$OUPath= Get-ADOrganizationalUnit -ldapfilter '(name=*)' -SearchBase "OU=Test,OU=Utilisateurs,OU=Titi,DC=TOTO,DC=local" | ? {$_.distinguishedname -notmatch 'OU=_Désactivés'}
$OuName = Get-ADOrganizationalUnit -filter * -SearchBase $OUPath | Select-Object Name
$UserNumber= "1"
write-host $OuName";"$UserNumber

The result is :

@{Name=Test};1

But What i want is :

Test;1

In fact my real script is :

Remove-Item -Path C:\test\UserOU.csv
$UserNumber=''
$exportPath= 'C:\test\UserOU.csv'
$OUPath= Get-ADOrganizationalUnit -ldapfilter '(name=*)' -SearchBase "OU=Test,OU=Utilisateurs,OU=Titi,DC=TOTO,DC=local" | ? {$_.distinguishedname -notmatch 'OU=_Désactivés'}
Foreach ($OUPath in $OUPath) {
$UserNumber = @(Get-AdUser -filter * -SearchBase $OUPath |Where {$_.enabled -eq "True"}).count
Write-Host $OUPath";"$UserNumber
Write-Output $OUPath";"$UserNumber | out-file -FilePath $exportPath -append
}

But the result shows me the OU’s distinguishedname but the name it’s all I need.

PS : Sorry for my english, i’m a french user.

Regards,

Looks to me like “Name” is a property of the $OUPath object. Try this instead:

Write-Host $OUPath.Name, $UserNumer -Separator ";"

Hi Mike,

Thanks,

I’ve already tried that, it works fine for the write-host but when i use the write-output and the export (the last line of my last code) the content of my csv file looks like :

PLD
#NAME?
;

instead of something like the write-host which is :

PLD;2

Regards,

Are you really just making a csv with “;” delimiters? If so, you can just do this:

$exportPath= 'C:\test\UserOU.csv'
$OUPath | 
    Select-Object -Property name, 
                            @{n=usernumber;e={@(Get-AdUser -filter * -SearchBase $_ |Where {$_.enabled -eq "True"}).count}} |
        Export-Csv -Path $exportPath -Delimiter ";"

Assuming your query for ADOrganizationalUnits provides a list of OUs you could use something like this:

$exportPath = 'C:\test\UserOU.csv'
Remove-Item -Path $exportPath -Force
$OUList = Get-ADOrganizationalUnit -ldapfilter '(name=*)' -SearchBase "OU=Test,OU=Utilisateurs,OU=Titi,DC=TOTO,DC=local" | Where-Object { $_.distinguishedname -notmatch 'OU=_Désactivés' }
$Result = Foreach ($OU in $OUList) {
    $UserList = Get-AdUser -filter "enabled -eq '$true'" -SearchBase $OU 
    [PSCustomObject]@{
        OrganizationalUnit = $OU
        UserCount          = $UserList.count
    }
}
$Result | Export-Csv -Path $exportPath -NoTypeInformation

Thanks to both of you.

@Olaf I’ve used your code.
I’ve just added 2 things :

.name in this part

OrganizationalUnit = $OU.name

because if not, the result was the full distinguishedname of the OU instead of the name only.

And | measure-object in this part

$UserList = Get-AdUser -filter "enabled -eq '$true'" -SearchBase $OU | measure-object

because if not, the result wasn’t correct for OU with 0 or 1 user.

Final code is :

$exportPath = 'C:\test\UserOU.csv'
Remove-Item -Path $exportPath -Force
$OUList = Get-ADOrganizationalUnit -ldapfilter '(name=*)' -SearchBase "OU=Test,OU=Utilisateurs,OU=Titi,DC=TOTO,DC=local" | Where-Object { $_.distinguishedname -notmatch 'OU=_Désactivés' }
$Result = Foreach ($OU in $OUList) {
$UserList = Get-AdUser -filter "enabled -eq '$true'" -SearchBase $OU | measure-object
[PSCustomObject]@{
OrganizationalUnit = $OU.Name
UserCount = $UserList.count
}
}
$Result | Export-Csv -Path $exportPath -NoTypeInformation

OK. I wouldn’t expect to find OUs with 0 or 1 user only. :wink: Another approach would be to cast an array no matter how many objects you get in return … like this:

$UserList = @(Get-AdUser -filter "enabled -eq '$true'" -SearchBase $OU)

The search scope should be specified or you will get counts of any child containers, this worked for me:

Import-Module ActiveDirectory

$results= Get-ADOrganizationalUnit -Filter {Name -ne '_Disabled'} -SearchBase "OU=Demo,DC=DEMO,DC=LOCAL" |
          Select Name,
                 DistinguishedName,
                 @{Name='UserCount';Expression={[int]@(Get-AdUser -Filter {Enabled -eq $true} -SearchBase $_.DistinguishedName -SearchScope OneLevel).count}}

$results