FirstFile Failed In Start-DSCConfiguration

HI All,

I am getting one weird issue while running the Start-DSCConfiguration command for a configuration.

FindFirstFile Failed.
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (root/Microsoft/…gurationManager:String) , CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 1
+ PSComputerName : localhost

Checked the event log , found nothing helpful. Please help me with advice\suggestions.

Thanks,
Aravinda

What version of WMF are you running? Have you recently upgraded from one of the preview versions to another?

You can try deleting the files (but not the subfolders) in C:\Windows\System32\Configuration , then applying your configuration again to see if that clears up the problem.

WMF Version : 3
Didn’t update anything in the server and I tried the script after deleting the files from the location mentioned. Still getting the same issue.

Thanks

DSC requires at least WMF version 4.0.

Sorry for the wrong info. It is 4.0 . Thing is that the security for the C:\Windows\System32\Configuration directory is changed due to which It is unable to fetch the file from there.

So, can I undo the security as it was before by doing any changes in WMF or reinstalling it in a windows server 2012?

You could try restoring the permissions. Here’s what I have on my system:

Owner: TrustedInstaller

TrustedInstaller, Full Control, Folder and subfolders
SYSTEM, Modify, This folder only
SYSTEM, Full Control, Subfolders and files only
Administrators, Modify, This folder only
Administrators, Full Control, Subfolders and files only
CREATOR OWNER, Full Control, Subfolders and files only
ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES, Read & execute, This folder, subfolders and files
WinRM, Read, Subfolders and files only

Has anyone else had this and managed to resolve it? I’m getting it on a new box that’s just been built. Another one built at the same time is fine

Me having the same issue. Anyone have been managed to solve this issue ? I’m running WFM 5.0 Prod Preview on Windows 2012 R2

So, in version 4, make sure that update KB2883200 is installed. If it’ not I’ve seen all sorts of weird things happen including DSC claiming a module wasn’t available even though it was (was downloaded and ready … had to reboot before the server “found” it).

Install it manually. In some odd instances, I’ve even seen WSUS claim it was “already installed or not needed” yet if i manually looked at the node it was missing so i manually had to install it.

I can’t comment on WMF5 … I’m still a bit jaded by the versioning nightmare that is.

Hi. Thanks for reply. I’ve actually managed to solve this issue. And it was caused by my faulty DSC custom and combined resource code, that actually manage Current and Pending DSC configuration (deploy it) and DSC modules in C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules directory. So as a result of the bug every subdirectory under C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\ directory have been removed and new modules have been deployed directly under C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell. As soon as I’ve fixed this, issue have been solved.

Interesting… presumably an empty Modules folder wouldn’t matter, but maybe the LCM doesn’t handle the situation of the Modules folder being outright deleted. Wonder if that’s true of any other paths that might trigger a similar bug.

I’ve tested things out and it’s not about Modules folder (it’s existence or absence), it’s about existence of “C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Configuration” folder. When I remove/rename it I can clearly reproduce this error.

Well, one really shouldn’t be renaming or deleting anything in the system32 directory… It’s generally a bad for your operating system. :wink: (That said, they could make the LCM more robust so it just recreates that folder if needed, but still.)

The directory is not not in system32, it’s in "C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell". But , yes I completely agree with you. Anyway, this happened accidentally. :slight_smile:

Oh, I misread… wasn’t aware there was a Configuration folder in Program Files. Wonder what it’s for.

I had this same issue. In my case I resolved it by making sure the following directory existed:

C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Configuration\Schema

The folder is empty, and I’m not sure what purpose it served.

The program files configuration folder is where you would place your resources and the ones tour using in your scripts. Seen people place them in system32 which is a bad habit and I think its even documents on where MS would like us the users to place our modules and configurations iirc.

This is not about placing stuff in system32. It’s all about system reaction to absence of some sub-directories in “C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell”. At least in my case.

Was referring to Dave’s comment :wink: