Find who deleted a calender item from our CEO outlook

Hello All, Newbie to PS and I am having a had time understanding a script task. Allow me to explain.
I have a client whos calendar is missing items, the issue is he doesn’t know when it went missing and I ran a calendar audit and i found who as auditor rights, but now i need to see who deleted anything from his outlook this includes calendars and email.

the details i need to present - who accessed it name (userID) / date and time / what they deleted, the subject of the event.

here is the code: (if you have something shorter and easier, please post ) :slight_smile:

#Modify the values for the following variables to configure the audit log search.
$logFile = “c:\AuditLogSearch\AuditLogSearchLog.txt”
$outputFile = “c:\AuditLogSearch\AuditLogRecords.csv”
[DateTime]$start = [DateTime]::UtcNow.AddDays(-12)
[DateTime]$end = [DateTime]::UtcNow
$record = “ExchangeItemGroup”
$resultSize = 5000
$intervalMinutes = 60

#Start script
[DateTime]$currentStart = $start
[DateTime]$currentEnd = $end

Function Write-LogFile ([String]$Message)
{
$final = [DateTime]::Now.ToUniversalTime().ToString(“s”) + “:” + $Message
$final | Out-File $logFile -Append
}

Write-LogFile “BEGIN: Retrieving audit records between $($start) and $($end), RecordType=$record, PageSize=$resultSize.”
Write-Host “Retrieving audit records for the date range between $($start) and $($end), RecordType=$record, ResultsSize=$resultSize”

$totalCount = 0
while ($true)
{
$currentEnd = $currentStart.AddMinutes($intervalMinutes)
if ($currentEnd -gt $end)
{
$currentEnd = $end
}

if ($currentStart -eq $currentEnd)
{
    break
}

$sessionID = [Guid]::NewGuid().ToString() + "_" +  "ExtractLogs" + (Get-Date).ToString("yyyyMMddHHmmssfff")
Write-LogFile "INFO: Retrieving audit records for activities performed between $($currentStart) and $($currentEnd)"
Write-Host "Retrieving audit records for activities performed between $($currentStart) and $($currentEnd)"
$currentCount = 0

$sw = [Diagnostics.StopWatch]::StartNew()
do
{
    $results = Search-UnifiedAuditLog -StartDate $currentStart -EndDate $currentEnd -RecordType $record -SessionId $sessionID -SessionCommand ReturnLargeSet -ResultSize $resultSize

if (($results | Measure-Object).Count -ne 0)
    {
        $results | export-csv -Path $outputFile -Append -NoTypeInformation

$currentTotal = $results[0].ResultCount
        $totalCount += $results.Count
        $currentCount += $results.Count
        Write-LogFile "INFO: Retrieved $($currentCount) audit records out of the total $($currentTotal)"

if ($currentTotal -eq $results[$results.Count - 1].ResultIndex)
        {
            $message = "INFO: Successfully retrieved $($currentTotal) audit records for the current time range. Moving on!"
            Write-LogFile $message
            Write-Host "Successfully retrieved $($currentTotal) audit records for the current time range. Moving on to the next interval." -foregroundColor Yellow
            ""
            break
        }
    }
}
while (($results | Measure-Object).Count -ne 0)

$currentStart = $currentEnd

}

Write-LogFile “END: Retrieving audit records between $($start) and $($end), RecordType=$record, PageSize=$resultSize, total count: $totalCount.”
Write-Host “Script complete! Finished retrieving audit records for the date range between $($start) and $($end). Total count: $totalCount” -foregroundColor Green

You seem to have forgotten to ask a question. What’s wrong with the code?

If the code works, then it works. That is all that matters initially. Improving it comes with experimenting and experience.

Does it work?

Mr. Sir Knight,
Welcome to the forum. :wave:t4:

before we proceed …
When you post code, sample data, console output or error messages please format it as code using the preformatted text button ( </> ). Simply place your cursor on an empty line, click the button and paste your code.

Thanks in advance

How to format code in PowerShell.org <---- Click :point_up_2:t4: :wink:

Then … this forum is for scripting questions. If you need a review or refactoring you may ask a trained professional to do it for you or you may try it there: