Extend LUN automatically

by kristianc at 2013-03-06 01:16:01

Hi
I am an server administrator and we have a bunch of servers with multiple LUN attached. We can’t forecast our customers disk usage and therefore I get a lot of extra space for differents LUN every week.
Normally I have to use diskpart to select the disk, then list volumes and select the volume and the do the extend, for each disk.
I know disk operations will be a lot easy’er in Powershell v3 and Server 2012, but my environment is Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2.
I want to do a script that can run through every disk on a server and see if there is any space to extend. if there is, then it should extend.
Diskpart can be used through Powershell I know, but I can’t get my head around how to find the disk and volume number for a volume where there is space to extend to.
Anyone who can help me?

Regards
Kristian
by DonJ at 2013-03-06 03:45:15
So… terminology-wise, let me make sure I’m on the same page. You want to look for space on a physical device that has not yet been allocated to a logical volume?

(You’re right in that it’s easier in 2012; part of what you get by buying that upgrade is the easier manageability)
by kristianc at 2013-03-06 04:36:02
Hi Don.

I think is it Yes to your question. Yes I want to run through all the physical disks attached to a server (SAN LUN’s) and look for unallocated space for each volume. Then extend that volume with the unallocted space.

As it is right now I run this command in Diskpart:
Rescan
Select Disk Y
Select Vol x
Extend
For each volume with unallocated space
Then the next disk and volume where new space is allocated.
It is that operation I want to automate. So each time the SAN team has allocated more space for my volumes, I can just run my script, and it extend where it is needed :slight_smile:
Does it answer your question?

Best regards
Kristian
by DonJ at 2013-03-06 07:32:47
It does - but I don have an answer for you, aside from running those in a script and brute-parsing their output.