Execute concurrent processes using PowerShell

Hello Experts,

I am a newbie to PowerShell and trying to a build a script that does the following functionality. Could someone please help me with this?

I would like to setup a new PowerShell script that invokes my Database Stored Procedure concurrently. I am currently having a Control table that has a Job_ID column and a Code column. There might be more than one Job_ID for a code value in the Control table. Based on the code value I pass in the PowerShell along with a date, I would like the PowerShell to trigger the Stored Procedure which is expecting “Job_ID” and “MyDate” as input parameters.

FYI, I am using SQL Server 2016.

PS C:\PowerShell> $PSVersionTable.PSVersion

Major  Minor  Build  Revision
-----  -----  -----  --------
2      0      -1     -1

Here is some sample data for your reference:

CREATE TABLE control_table(JOB_ID INT, CODE VARCHAR(5));
INSERT INTO control_table(1, 'ABC');
INSERT INTO control_table(2, 'ABC');
INSERT INTO control_table(3, 'ABC');
INSERT INTO control_table(1, 'DEF');
INSERT INTO control_table(1, 'GHI');

CREATE PROCEDURE myschema.run_job (@JOB_ID INT, @MyDate DATE)
AS
BEGIN
-- Do Something
END

When I run the PowerShell script by passing 'ABC" as code, it should execute all the three jobs concurrently by reading the control table.

Something like

.\test.ps1 MyCode ABC Dt 12/27/2018

Hi Julaayi,

Please refer my blog post below, and you can use or customize as per your requirement…

https://kiransweblog.wordpress.com/2018/12/25/sql-server-psobject-working-with-sql-server-using-powershell/

Thank you.

Hi Kiran,

Thank you for the reply. I couldn’t find scripts that does asynchronous processing or run jobs concurrently. Please advise.

Hi Julaayi - Can you put down your code? So that I can tweak it a bit as per your requirement. Thank you.