DSC - Use SQL instead of ESENT

Hello,

I’m fighting since 2 days to have DSC working with SQL server instead of this crappy ESENT DB. The reason is mainly the DB size which is not under control…

Current test setup: Windows 2016 Server for my pull server on a server which is security compliant (old ssl and tls version are disabled).

I first tried to use the SQL info from MS page but it’s not working, I can’t find any proper info on errors except this message : “[[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer] Only ESENT is supported on Windows Server 2016” but when I read MS doc only WMF 5.1 and Windows server version greater or equal to 17090… Can’t really find which version of Windows it is.

Because I can’t use that build-in stuff I switched to mdb, findings several topics with many different info, I’m almost done except on the ODBC sutff, I can’t use SQL server drive because of old version of tls/ssl protocols being disabled. I can only use SQL Server Native client 11.0 but then I have this error :
w3wp (5872) CreateRepositoryInstance: An attempt to create the folder "c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=$env:PROGRAMFILES" failed with system error 267 (0x0000010b): "The directory name is invalid. ". The create folder operation will fail with error -1023 (0xfffffc01).

I tried with both :

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\DscService\Devices.mdb;

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\DscService\Devices.mdb;

with no luck…

I’m now a bit…lost. I read Windows 2019 should allow using SQL directly but sounds a bit overkill to have a new version of Windows to get this thing working as it should.

Any idea or suggestion ?

If you have access to Windows Server 2019 you can save yourself a fair amount of time in getting this setup, it just works.

Mike J