Do workflows possibly deserve their own subforum?

by willsteele at 2012-09-07 07:06:58

I am mainly thinking out loud. Once Workflows really catch on I suspect there will be a lot for people to get their heads around. That being case, would it make sense to do a separate forum for Workflows? Not trying to encroach on site layout by any means. Was just offering a thought.

Thanks,

Will
by DonJ at 2012-09-07 07:12:13
Possibly. If we find someone willing to be a formal moderator, I can set it up.
by poshoholic at 2012-09-07 07:56:19
For starters I like the idea of it being mixed in, raising visibility/exposure to the general community about workflows.
by coderaven at 2012-09-07 08:05:02
I know JeffH, knows WorkFlows and I assume most of the MVPs do :). I agree with poshoholic it is actually part of the language, but at the same time, it is a little bit of a different branch because things like a foreach as a quick example can act different in they way you can make it process.

Either way, since I heard about PowerShell 3, I saw WorkFlows as the most exciting thing. I would enjoy moderating it, if it is decided to be in it’s own bucket. Someone needs to create a book named PowerShell WorkFlows Cookbook to showcase the different style it can take to imagine getting work done.
by DonJ at 2012-09-07 08:10:37
I’ll disagree and say that it isn’t part of the language - and that’s an argument for making it its own forum. It isn’t PowerShell; it’s PowerShell translated to WWF. It has its own very unique way things have to be done, and not everything in PowerShell can translate over smoothly. Right now we’re not getting great guidance from MS about it, and I’ve seen way to many demos that don’t "just work as advertised," which means this is going to have a lot of room for education ;).

So… coderaven, if you’re volunteering, the role of the monitor is to make sure every question gets an answer. See https://powershell.org/guide-for-forums-monitors/, and if you’re interested, drop me an e-mail directly (you can use the little mail icon, or… well, my name is Don and I work for ConcentratedTech… so figure it out).
by willsteele at 2012-09-07 08:51:36
Thanks for being open to the idea folks. I appreciate the feedback and looking forward to what it will bring to the community as a while. WWF seems to be a different technology, as Don noted, very much as WMI, COM, and, SQL are. They integrate with PowerShell, but, are something more.

What Don noted, the lack of guidance and demos, was my main motivating force for bringing it up. At present I see maybe 20-25 new ideas stemming from Workflows, but, putting them together correctly, that’s a matter altogether different.