Could not retrieve local configuration manager settings

I’ve got a DSC script that I’m running. This script works on other machines but when I create the MOF for a particular machine and run Start-DscCnfiguration or Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager I get this message:

Buffer is not supported. Check encoding and length of the buffer Could not retrieve the Local Configuration Manager settings.
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (root/Microsoft/…gurationManager:String) , CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : MiClientApiError_Failed
+ PSComputerName : vmtest66

The script used to run on this machine, but I just get this message now and as far as I can tell nothing has changed.

Any help would be great, thank you.

What version of windows?

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

My gut says “broke, start over,” but have you run a DSCDiagnostic against it to try and get some more detail from the logs?

What sort of start over, do you mean reimage the machine? Unfortunately that wouldn’t be an option, are there not some temp files I can delete? I seem to remember that during running the script on that machine it started and then halfway through it died. I restarted the machine and now this happens. I’m going to have a look at the logs now.

If I couldn’t pull something from the logs, then yeah, starting with a fresh OS is the only guaranteed reset. If that isn’t an option, pulling it out by its fingernails might be possible, but it’s going to take some digging. Either way, that’s why my first step would be running a diagnostic trace and seeing if the logs had any better clues.

If I couldn’t pull something from the logs, then yeah, starting with a fresh OS is the only guaranteed reset. If that isn’t an option, pulling it out by its fingernails might be possible, but it’s going to take some digging. Either way, that’s why my first step would be running a diagnostic trace and seeing if the logs had any better clues.

I am having a similar type error, but with different CategoryInfo:

Undefined property Name
At line:43, char:2
Buffer:
Name=“SetPullMode”;
};^
+ CategoryInfo : SyntaxError: (root/Microsoft/…gurationManager:String) , CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : MiClientApiError_Failed
+ PSComputerName : mdt01.virtualmotu.com

Get this error every time I push a configuration or try to setup pulling a configuration. Get-WinEvent and Trace-xDSCoperation show the same vague error message.

TimeCreated : 8/31/2014 6:53:53 PM
MIResult 0
ErrorMessage
MessageID
ErrorCategory 0
ErrorCode 1
ErrorType

Is a re-image recommended too?

Thanks for any advice!

I managed to resolve this issue that I initially posted by going to C:\Windows\System32\Configuration on the machine which was returning this error and replacing the files there with files from a machine that wasn’t. I believe in my case, the specific file that was causing this was the Pending.mof which I deleted and it started working again. Hopefully someone else will find this information useful.