Copy-Item error "network path not found"

Hi,

I try to use copy-item to copy file from one server to another server. Both of the servers are of the same subnet. But I get the error of “Network path not found”.

Code:
$computers = Get-Content C:\CompList.txt
$Computers | foreach{Copy-Item -Path C:\test.txt -Destination \$_\D$\install}

For your assistance, please. Thank you.

Try a back tick in front of the second dollar sign. It’s trying to read it as a variable. You need it to be a literal.

Hi Don,

Tried your suggestion:

Code:
$Computers | foreach{Copy-Item -Path C:\test.txt -Destination \$_\D`$\install}

got error still “network path not found”.

Literal strings should be quoted, to be sure they are read that way.
Variable expansion of course is double quotes.

((Get-ADComputer -Filter *).Name)[7] | %{Get-ChildItem -Path "\\$_\c$\install"}

((Get-ADComputer -Filter *).Name)[7] | %{Copy-Item -Path 'C:\Temp\test.txt' -Destination "\\$_\c$\install" -WhatIf}

What if: Performing the operation "Copy File" on target "Item: C:\Temp\test.txt Destination: \\WS01\c$\install\test.txt".

((Get-ADComputer -Filter *).Name)[7] | %{Copy-Item -Path 'C:\Temp\test.txt' -Destination "\\$_\c$\install"}

((Get-ADComputer -Filter *).Name)[7] | %{Get-ChildItem -Path "\\$_\c$\install"}

Directory: \\WS01\c$\install

Mode                LastWriteTime     Length Name                                                                                                             
----                -------------     ------ ----                                                                                                             
-a---         1/25/2018   2:14 AM        542 test.txt 

Hi postanote,

the double " " won’t work also.

May I confirm that at the destination path the destination folder must be network share?

$Computers | foreach{Copy-Item -Path C:\test.txt -Destination \$_\D$\install}

Thank you.

Regards,
Vincent

Sound environmental on your side.
As per my post back, these at the commands I ran in my lab and all worked as designed.
The folder I user was not a network share name just a UNC to a folder I created on a remote system.
Making it an network share, really should not matter, since as we know, a share name is by default the same name as the UNC folder name.
You are using the default drive$ and a share folder in your post.

So, are you saying that on that drive$, that, then install folder sharename as well?
If so, then why use the drive$?
You should only need the servername and the sharename.

((Get-ADComputer -Filter *).Name)[7] | %{Get-ChildItem -Path "\\$_\install"}

Directory: \\WS01\install

-a---         1/25/2018   2:14 AM        542 test1.txt                                                                                                        

((Get-ADComputer -Filter *).Name)[7] | %{Copy-Item -Path 'C:\Temp\test.txt' -Destination "\\$_\install" -WhatIf}

What if: Performing the operation "Copy File" on target "Item: C:\Temp\test.txt Destination: \\WS01\install\test.txt".

((Get-ADComputer -Filter *).Name)[7] | %{Copy-Item -Path 'C:\Temp\test.txt' -Destination "\\$_\install"}

((Get-ADComputer -Filter *).Name)[7] | %{Get-ChildItem -Path "\\$_\install"}

Directory: \\WS01\install

-a---         1/25/2018   2:14 AM        542 test.txt                                                                                                         
-a---         1/25/2018   2:14 AM        542 test1.txt