Convert txt file to xlsx

Hello,

Hit my next roadblock.

I am trying to take a text file, that seems to be delimited by a random number of spaces and convert to xlsx.

In Excel the normal txt import doesn’t work on Office 265, I have to use the legacy import to text in Office 365.

I downloaded Doug’s module, but am having problems finding how I read the text file in and export to xlsx. Tried finding some documentation to help but could not.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

-og

Are you sure it is a random number of spaces? It could be tab delimited as well.

If this is the case you can import the csv with something like this:

Import-Csv -Path D:\sample\sample1.csv -Delimiter “`t”

If it’s actually a random number of spaces you could convert the spaces into proper delimiter charachters with the operator -replace … something like this:

Get-Content -Path D:\sample\mycsvfile.csv | 
    ForEach-Object{$_ -replace "\s+",';'} | 
        ConvertFrom-Csv -Delimiter ';'

For the future: most of the times it would be helpful to see the code you already have and a few sanitized but still representative sample lines of the source data you’re dealing with - formatted as code as well. :wink: That would make it possible to get an idea of what you’re dealing with and would reduce wild guesses. :wink:

Noted :slight_smile: Will try to put an example in next time.

This just about worked on the first try (your first option was closer). I figured out that the file is “fixed width” which is why the legacy import wizard works and the newer wizard with office 365 does not.

Does Doug’s module support the older import type? I’m googling around to to try and find out

-og

For fixed width strings you could use the .substring() and .trim() method to cut out the desired columns.

I don’t know. I actually never needed to work with it. You might simply try it. :wink:

What’s hard to believe is that Micrsoft cutted such a simple function like the import of fixed width csv files in newer versions of Office. I just tested it with my installation and it’s still there …