Text to column issues

Im pulling a csv file from a putty session output. Im trying to get it properly formatted into columns but since the output doesnt have any commas or tabs and each row has different number of spaces my text to column ps1 doesnt format it correctly unless I do some manual editing of the file which this has to be an automated process due to the amount of files so Im trying to figure out how to get my powershell script to do it correctly. Below is the data I have in .csv, running an import-csv will return this and you can see the space situation Im talking about

Name                   Size  Thin Provisioning  Data Reduction  Total Reduction  Volume   Snapshots  Shared Space  System  Total  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Development_b_001      8T    57%                5.9 to 1        13.7 to 1        548.64G  45.20G     -             -       593.84G
Production_b_001       8T    36%                3.2 to 1        5.0 to 1         1.57T    0.00       -             -       1.57T  

This doesn’t work?

import-csv file.csv | format-table -autosize

You might want to try “convertfrom-string”

Check this out for some good examples

I would look into the possibilities with ConvertFrom-String :slight_smile:

Yeah I found ConvertFrom-String while I was googling just struggling to make the -templatefile now but If I can figure this out I think I got it I just dont know the proper syntax to get it just yet. Tried below but its not working how I thought it would.

{Name*:*}                   {Size*:*}  {Thin Provisioning*:*}  {Data Reduction*:*}  {Total Reduction*:*}  {Volume*:*}   {Snapshots*:*}  {Shared Space*:*}  {System*:*}  {Total*:*}

Your template is a bit off.

instead of your string like this .....
Yours:
{Name*:*}                   {Size*:*}  {Thin Provisioning*:*} 

Try this instead based upon the data:

Name                   Size  Thin Provisioning  Data Reduction  Total Reduction  Volume   Snapshots  Shared Space  System  Total  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
{name*:Development_b_001}      {Size:8T}    {Thin_provisioning:57%} 
{name*:Production_b_001}       {Size:8T}    {Thin_provisioning:36%}

Make sure you have enough samples to provide to the Convertfrom-string engine in your template file. I would use at least 3 lines, and if they each have slightly different sizes/values that is better.

I also found an earlier post in this forum:
https://powershell.org/forums/topic/need-to-read-a-file-and-store-it-in-a-variable/#post-91695