Console Colours - Different?

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a silly question, but I can’t quite understand what is going on here.

So I’ve been tweaking my Powershell 5 console settings to make it more comfortable to use… I’ve set the background colour to DarkGray, but somehow in one session, it has become a darker shade than others. I can’t replicate it, but it’s a lot more comfortable to use. If I check the $host.ui.rawui.backgroundcolor variable, it reads DarkGray on both shells, and if I get both shells to format the foreground in DarkGray, it is unreadable on both as expected… but I don’t understand how one shell is darker. It is noticably darker and that in turn makes colours like red and magenta so much easier to read.

Does anyone know how I’ve managed this or how I can replicate it on other instances?

Here is a screenshot of what I mean: http://cloud.nimraynn.co.uk/data/personal/nimraynn/Forum-Images/consolecolours.png

Thanks.

Check the RGB values. I suspect they’ve been edited in one of the console properties. Editing the values doesn’t affect the naming, so it’s possibly to set black to R=0 G=255 B=0 and have a bright green display and still have $host.ui.rawui.backgroundcolor return Black.

To see the colour values, right click the PowerShell logo in the window title bar, select Properties and then the Colours tab. DarkGray is in the middle, next to blue.