Can PowerShell sessions be embedded in Windows Explorer?

by willsteele at 2012-08-18 19:23:10

Has anyone written a way to include PowerShell as a built in part of Windows Explorer? In my mind, I imagine looking at an instance of Windows Explorer with folders and files on the top. In the bottom portion of the pane (resizable if possible) would be an instance of PowerShell. Being able to see the GUI and a built-in instance of the shell would be a really cool way to work with PowerShell. Imagine, you’re working on something, manually examining a file, and, you decide to copy it. Instead of dragging and dropping it to another folder, you could just tab to the PowerShell instance, type copy-item .\file C:\destination, and, voila, it’s done. Just like with other Explorer features, have this Shell interface be something you could turn on or off as a default. If you turn it on, you could open any instance of Explorer and it would automatically reference the current location as you navigate around the file system. And, maybe, with a simple command, Show-GUI, it would launch PowerShell ISE referencing the same path. All sorts of ways to spin this one…
by poshoholic at 2012-08-18 21:42:56
You can lightly integrate PowerShell into Explorer, and it’s probably a good enough solution for what you’re talking about. Have you seen the Open PowerShell Window Here right-click option extension for Explorer? That is probably good enough for what you’re talking about, and I imagine you could work out one for ISE as well. It’s not embedding the console in Explorer, but that’s more expensive, and therefore not likely to happen given it would have a high cost and be of low overall benefit, so this will probably have to do.
by willsteele at 2012-08-20 08:44:57
Gracias Kirk. I recall having seen those. I’ll revisit.
by jmiller76 at 2012-08-20 09:47:28
Will,

Did I send this to you a while back? It creates a PowerShell console below an explorer pane. It then catches directory change events and sends CD commands to the PS console.

http://superuser.com/questions/317261/how-to-embed-powershell-into-explorer-or-explorer-like-tool (ConEmu)

- Josh