Booting into an iso on a Gen 2 machine

Good afternoon.

I’m currently building an environment for our imaging solution. I’m building 3 different VMs through DSC, which I then use for imaging.

I’ve worked out how to create the machines, attach the switches, adjust the memory/processor count, get the right path, and everything related to it to work. The VMs are created properly and show up in Hyper-V for me to use.

The only thing I’ve got left to figure out is how to make it so that I can make the machines Generation 2 and still make them boot from an iso. Currently, I can use the GUI to create a SCSI Controller and then use that SCSI Controller as a DVD Drive and mount the ISO in it so that I can boot to it.

The DSC Module I’m using currently (xHyper-V) doesn’t support creating a Gen 2 VM and attaching it through the SCSI Controller. I can only attach the DVD drive through IDE, which Gen 2 doesn’t support.

Does anyone know how to get around this problem through DSC? Ideally, I’d like to run the DSC commands, and it creates the machines, boots them into an unattended ISO, and all I have to do is go back to the VM’s later and run my setup scripts.

I figured out that if you use the xVMScsiController part of the xHyper-V module you can put the controller in one of the slots, and then assign the DVD drive to that slot. For example, you can put the Scsi Controller on slot 1, and then put the DVD drive on that same slot and it will function as a scsi controller.