Beginner PowerShell Website Integration

by NMayberry at 2012-10-15 09:26:45

Hey All,

I accepted a position a month ago to use PowerShell/PowerCLI full time and I am very excited to take a hobby to full time. After a month, I am looking at the possibility of needing to build a website that can run PowerShell/PowerCLI scripts. Coming from an Administrative background, I have very little experience with web development and need help with recommendations on whether I need to start on .NET, HTML5 or something else entirely. Appreciate any and all help on this.

Thanks,

Nathan Mayberry
by JeffH at 2012-10-16 05:23:22
Is this something that PowerShell Web Access that you can get with v3 can accomplish for you?
by NMayberry at 2012-10-16 07:50:33
I am trying to see if a webpage can be a UI for my scripts similarly to .NET enabling you to build a GUI. My limited knowledge on PowerShell Web Access is that it is basically a remote console. Is it able to pass information between a webpage and servers using PowerShell?
by Eric at 2012-10-16 17:58:59
take a peek at poshboard www.poshboard.com which was highlighted on the powerscripting podcast http://powerscripting.wordpress.com/201 … poshboard/
by DougFinke at 2012-10-18 07:22:58
Hi NMayberry,

Can you say a little more about what you’re trying to do?

Do you want to have a user go to a web page and the content is driven by PowerShell on the back end?

Here is a post I did for a UI using the JQuery Datable. This all happens on the client and may not be what you are looking for.
http://www.dougfinke.com/blog/index.php/2011/02/15/how-to-send-powershell-output-to-a-jquery-interactive-datatable-in-a-web-browser/

Thanks
Doug
by Eric at 2012-10-18 09:05:51
Nathan,

I think you need to be clearer how this should work. are you looking to view output of commands instantiated from a web request, or static output saved to a webserver? it sounded like you are looking for the web interface to Powershell. in that case powershell web access would be your easiest hook. if that is not an option you will be looking at building out a custom .net solution similar to the poshboard app i mentioned above.

can you be more specific on your requirements?
by NMayberry at 2012-10-19 13:47:34
Until now I did not have any requirements, just an inkling about what was coming down the pipe. (pun intended) Now I do have some requirements. I am going to try to figure out how from a webpage how to manage and schedule scripts that I have wrote to refresh VMs. Will need to have a calendar with existing scheduled items, intelligence to let you schedule only so many scripts up to a certain number, be able to schedule new jobs or edit existing ones, run now options and eventually have our client teams be able to manage there own areas with this webpage. Thanks for all the help!

Thanks,

Nathan Mayberry