AWS EC2 Instances using SSM for Domain Join

I have been trying to use the Add-Computer Cmdlet to take and newly generated Windows 2019 and 2016 EC2 Instance, which starts with a randomly generated hostname, and set the hostname, and join it to the domain. So far, I have not been able to get this to work without having two steps and two reboots. I have to Rename-Computer, reboot, and Add-Computer and reboot.

I have tried so many things, I have lost track, but here is one example:
Add-Computer -DomainName $domain -OUPath $ouPath -Credential $credential -NewName $($nameValue.Split(".")[0]) -Force –Options JoinWithNewName,AccountCreate -ErrorAction Stop -Restart\n

Does anyone have tested and proven method for changing the name of a Windows Server and Joining it to the domain with only one reboot? I have tried add-computer -newname, it doesn’t work.

I have done this many times manually, I just ignore the first reboot prompt. I assume your -Restart\n is intended to perform the same action? I am not familiar with that syntax. If that is not the case, what happens if you leave off the -Restart and simply try the second task, then reboot?

PS C:\Users\Administrator> $NName = 'comcomp3'
PS C:\Users\Administrator> $username = 'aname'
PS C:\Users\Administrator> $pw = 'apassword'
PS C:\Users\Administrator> $pwss = (ConvertTo-SecureString $pw -AsPlainText -Force)
PS C:\Users\Administrator> $creds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential($username, $pwss)
PS C:\Users\Administrator>   Rename-Computer -NewName $NName -PassThru

HasSucceeded OldComputerName           NewComputerName
------------ ---------------           ---------------
True         EC2AMAZ-2PQ4DC7           comcomp3
WARNING: The changes will take effect after you restart the computer EC2AMAZ-2PQ4DC7.

PS C:\Users\Administrator>   Start-Sleep -Seconds 10
PS C:\Users\Administrator> $OU = 'OU=AN-OU-PATH'
PS C:\Users\Administrator> Add-Computer -DomainName "ourdomain.com" -OUPath $OU -Credential $creds -Options JoinWithNewName  -Restart
Add-Computer : Computer 'EC2AMAZ-2PQ4DC7' failed to join domain 'ourdomain.com' from its current
workgroup 'WORKGROUP' with following error message: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.
At line:1 char:1
+ Add-Computer -DomainName "ourdomain.com" -OUPath $OU - ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (EC2AMAZ-2PQ4DC7:String) [Add-Computer], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : FailToJoinDomainFromWorkgroup,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.AddComputerCommand

If I run it without the -Options JoinWithNewName, it joins, but the name is not changed.

Does $creds have the permission to join the system to the domain? It looks like it does not.