AD Module on SBS 2008

I am new to Powershell and have version 3 installed on an SBS 2008 server and on a Win7 machine with remote administration installed.

Is there a way I can use the AD module/commands (I.e. ADComputer, ADUser, )in Powershell to access and manage the server?

Thanks,

Install the RSAT on a client. Install the AD Web Service on the server. Run the commands on your client.

Well, on Windows Server 2008, you could download and install the AD Management Gateway Service on the domain controller. http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=2852

I don’t know whether there would be any problems installing this on an SBS 2008 server. You can try it and see. If it installs properly, you should be able to use the AD module commands from your Windows 7 computer.

I was able to in stall Remote admin tools on my Win 7 machine including the AD module for powershell. That works fine.

On my SBS 2008 SP2

I tried downloading the web service from this link below and installing Windows6.0-KB968934-x64.msu and I get an error that the update does not apply to my computer.

Any suggestions?

Um… Don’t use SBS? Seriously, it might just not be supported.

If the AD Management Gateway Service won’t install on SBS, then I’m afraid you’re out of luck, as far as the Microsoft ActiveDirectory module is concerned. You could download the Quest AD cmdlets, though; they’re very similar to the AD module, but they use LDAP to communicate with the DCs, instead of relying on AD Web Services. Active Directory Management Tool | Active Roles

You can also use the underlying .NET System.DirectoryServices classes yourself, but it’s not as user-friendly.