Windows Feature Installs that Require Reboot

After fooling around with this for a while I’ve discovered the following the settings:

RebootNodeIfNeeded = $true

Does not work if you are running the configuration script on the machine being configured (a test environment, using a local machine top run scripts against)
When running in pull mode after the configuration is pulled and the first WindowsFeature that needs a reboot is installed, the reboot is 'scheduled via the LCM, then the configuration is applied again moving on to the next WindowsFeature installed etc., etc.

So if you have a number of features that are installed that require a server to be rebooted it could take quite a while to install. (I have about 52 features to install)

Configuration ExampleConfig
{
Node “Server001”
{
LocalConfigurationManager
{
ConfigurationMode = “ApplyAndAutocorrect”
RefreshMode = “Pull”
RefreshFrequencyMins = 15
RebootNodeIfNeeded = $true
ConfigurationModeFrequencyMins = 30
}

WindowsFeature Desktop-Experience
 {
    Ensure = 'Present'
   Name = 'Desktop-Experience'
 }     

WindowsFeature Web-Mgmt-Console
 {
    Ensure = 'Present'
    Name = 'Web-Mgmt-Console'
}

}

For example above script could take 1 hour to install.

When A windows feature is installed that requires a reboot to finish, the other features will not install until the reboot is accomplished, So… I would like to find a registry entry that changes when the Windows Feature install requires a reboot and place a restart script in the configuration script. I can check this value, and restart the server, and then when the server is restarted I will get it’s config and pick up where it left off, bypassing features already installed etc, when the next windows feature that requires a reboot comes along the server will restart and go through the process again etc. etc.

The only documentation I’ve found so far points to Hklm\software\Microsoft\windows\currentVersion\control\sessionmanager\pendingfilerenameoptions, from what I understand the ‘pendingfilenamoptions’ will only be there if a reboot is necessary, I tried it but that key was not created after a windowsfeature required a reboot.

Any info for the reg entry would be appreciated.

Regards,

HKLM:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\RebootPending