Using PowerShell to create a number of Word files, doesn't work with unicode

Hi specialists,

I have created a short script to generate a bunch of docx fieles I need for testing. It works quite well, but I have a problem entering a sample text with German Umlauts. the Umlauts are broken in the resulting docx. Could you guys help me with this issue?

Here is my code:

param (
    [Parameter()][string]$FileNamePrefix = "Test",
    [Parameter()][int]$Count = 10

begin {
    Add-Type -AssemblyName "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word"
    $word = New-Object -ComObject Word.Application
    $word.Visible = $false
    $targetPath = Resolve-Path $PWD

process {
    for ($i = 1; $i -lt $Count + 1; $i++) {
        Write-Progress -Activity "Creating Word files. $i of $Count." -PercentComplete ($i/$Count*100)
        $doc = $word.Documents.Add()
        $doc.TextEncoding = [Microsoft.Office.Core.MsoEncoding]::msoEncodingUTF8
        $selection = $word.Selection
        $rtext = -join ((65..90) + (97..122) | Get-Random -Count 10 | % { [char]$_ })
        $selection.TypeText("Dies ist Text $($i) mit zufälligem Text: $rtext" )
        $target = Join-Path $targetPath "$FileNamePrefix-$($i)"

end {

The result in Word looks like this. The “ä” is encoded wrongly:

“Dies ist Text 1 mit zufälligem Text: lugJpDqxkB”

I tried your code and I get 10 word files with

" Dies ist Text 7 mit zufälligem Text: gXGmNPkIpt "

Looks correct,

This is with word 2016

Thank you for testing it. I’m using Word 2013. But I have a 2016 version somewhere and will try if that really makes a difference.

Hi Detlef, I request you to format the code in the forum which makes other to easily understand your code, below link will help you.

Just to close this topic I’m reporting the solution I found.

It seems PowerShell is unable to correctly identify the encoding of a script file stored as UTF-8 without BOM.

I changed my script to UTF-8 with BOM, and now the string in my docx files are correct…