Using -executionpolicy bypass -file?

I’m trying to run a script written by someone else off of a network share. I’m executing it from a command line with the syntax powershell -executionpolicy bypass -file \server\share\script.ps1. I get an error that the file is not digitally signed.

I’m confused as to why isn’t it bypassing the executionpolicy?

Run this command at a PowerShell console, and post the results:

Get-ExecutionPolicy -List

It’s possible that execution policy is being assigned to you via Group Policy; if that’s the case, you can’t override it with the -ExecutionPolicy parameter. This is from the about_Execution_Policies help file:

EXECUTION POLICY PRECEDENCE

When determining the effective execution policy for a 
session, Windows PowerShell evaluates the execution policies
in the following precedence order:

- Group Policy: Computer Configuration
    - Group Policy: User Configuration
    - Execution Policy: Process (or PowerShell.exe -ExecutionPolicy)
    - Execution Policy: CurrentUser
    - Execution Policy: LocalMachine
                                                  Scope                                             ExecutionPolicy
                                                  -----                                             ---------------
                                          MachinePolicy                                                RemoteSigned
                                             UserPolicy                                                   Undefined
                                                Process                                                   Undefined
                                            CurrentUser                                                   Undefined
                                           LocalMachine                                                RemoteSigned

It gets stranger. I wrote a 1 liner ‘Hello Word’ script and saved it to my personal network share, and tried to run it on the same computer, using bypass -file; worked like a hero.

I copied the exact same script to the network share of the script that won’t run, and now the same script gives me the error that my script is not signed. Hurr?

Yep, you’ve got RemoteSigned coming from Group Policy. Unless you’ll be allowed to change that, you’ll need to sign any script that’s run from a UNC path like that.

Network shares are considered remote not local. I have run into the same problem too. Even if it’s a mapped drive letter it is still “remote”