Using an exe and password within PS

Hello everyone,

I’d like some help from the community. My first experience with Powershell was about 3 months ago and I’m green behind the ears so please be gentle.

We have a product at work that needs to be removed from several systems. This script will require using an encrypted password that will be passed along to an exe that I’m attempting to run within the script. I’ll be using Landesk to push the files to local machines.

# Self-elevate the script if required
if (-Not ([Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal] [Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()).IsInRole([Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole] 'Administrator')) {  if ([int](Get-CimInstance -Class Win32_OperatingSystem | Select-Object -ExpandProperty BuildNumber) -ge 6000) {
  $CommandLine = "-File `"" + $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path + "`" " + $MyInvocation.UnboundArguments
  Start-Process -FilePath PowerShell.exe -Verb Runas -ArgumentList $CommandLine
  Exit
 }
}

# Pull encrypted password from file
$cred = Get-content "C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldapps\company\password.txt" | ConvertTo-SecureString -Key (1..16)
$BSTR = [System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal]::SecureStringToBSTR($cred)
$PlainPassword = [System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal]::PtrToStringAuto($BSTR)

# Launch uninstaller
Start-Process -Filepath "C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldapps\company\removal.exe" UNINSTALL_PASSWORD=$PlainPassword 

When I launch the script a pop up occurs called “Interactive Services Detection” with two options. 1. View Message and 2. Ask me later. When I click on view message I’m prompted with a message from the software I’m trying to remove. As you can imagine that is not the work flow I’d like my users to see. What I would to see is nothing at all except for the application to be removed.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance and let me know if anyone needs more info.

What does the message say, if you click “View message”?

Great question. I’m brought into what I can only call an instance of Windows with the pop up that is asking if I want to continue with the removal of software. It’s the same message I would see if I ran the exe on it’s own.

Edit : I added -WindowStyle hidden to the last line and that has stopped the Window with the pop up. Now just the pop up appears and the password is still not being passed.

# Launch uninstaller
Start-Process WindowsStyle hidden -Filepath "C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldapps\company\removal.exe" UNINSTALL_PASSWORD=$PlainPassword 

Any help is appreciated.