Using a script with a switch parameter to use a parameter in a cmdlet

I’m testing some things and I’m stumped on this.

I’ve got a script where I wish to toggle whether or not to show table headers in the final output. I’ve set up a switch parameter $HideHeaders, and it should simply toggle headers by calling Format-Table with the -HideTableHeaders parameter.

But instead of expanding to a parameter, Powershell treats it as a positional parameter and gives the following error: “Format-Table : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument ‘-HideTableHeaders’.”
Also by doing the ‘$noHeaders = $null’ I thougth that should just put nothing instead $noHeaders but that gives me: “Format-Table : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument ‘$null’.”, and ‘$noHeaders = “”’ gives: “Format-Table : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument ‘’.”

[pre]
function Get-DHCPScopeInfo{
param(
$scope = @(10,11,12,13,16,50,100),
$ComputerName = “*”,
$sort = “hostname”,
$Property = “IPAddress,hostname,clientid”,
[switch]$HideHeaders
)

if($HideHeaders.IsPresent) {
$noHeaders = “-HideTableHeaders”
#$noHeaders = “-HideTableHeaders:$true”
}
else {
$noHeaders = $null
#$noHeaders = “”
#$noHeaders = “-HideTableHeaders:$false”
}
Get-DhcpServerv4Lease -ComputerName [SERVERNAME] -scopeid [IP SCOPE] `
| Sort-Object -Property $sort | Where-Object hostname -like “$ComputerName” | Format-Table -Property $property.Split(“,”) $noHeaders
}

Get-DHCPScopeInfo -ComputerName 8700 -Property hostname
Get-DHCPScopeInfo -ComputerName 8700 -Property hostname -HideHeaders
[/pre]

If i work around the issue by rewriting the switch test to include the full command in both IF (including the -HideTableHeaders) and ELSE (excluding the -HideTableHeaders) statements it works. Like this:

[pre]
function Get-DHCPScopeInfoVerbose {
param(
$scope = @(10,11,12,13,16,50,100),
$ComputerName = “*”,
$sort = “hostname”,
$Property = “IPAddress,hostname,clientid”,
[switch]$HideHeaders
)

if($HideHeaders.IsPresent) {
| Sort-Object -Property $sort | Where-Object hostname -like “$ComputerName” | Format-Table -Property $property.Split(“,”) -HideTableHeaders
}
else {
| Sort-Object -Property $sort | Where-Object hostname -like “$ComputerName” | Format-Table -Property $property.Split(“,”)
}
}

Get-DHCPScopeInfoVerbose -ComputerName 8700 -Property hostname
Get-DHCPScopeInfoVerbose -ComputerName 8700 -Property hostname -HideHeaders
[/pre]

It seems clumsy, however, and if I need to change things about in the command being called I need to remember to fix everything twice.