Unable to find NFS powershell module

Based on NFS Module | Microsoft Learn, NFS is an available module. However, when I try to use the commands in the module, it doesn’t work.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-NfsClientConfiguration
Get-NfsClientConfiguration : The term ‘Get-NfsClientConfiguration’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet,
function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the
path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1

• Get-NfsClientConfiguration
  •   + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Get-NfsClientConfiguration:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\Windows\system32> Install-Module -Name NFS
PackageManagement\Install-Package : No match was found for the specified search criteria and module name ‘NFS’. Try
Get-PSRepository to see all available registered module repositories.
At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PowerShellGet\1.0.0.1\PSModule.psm1:1809 char:21

• … $null = PackageManagement\Install-Package @PSBoundParameters
  •                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Microsoft.Power…InstallPackage:InstallPackage) [Install-Package], Ex
      ception
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoMatchFoundForCriteria,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.InstallPackage

Get-Module -list is not showing NFS.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Find-Module -Name NFS
PackageManagement\Find-Package : No match was found for the specified search criteria and module name ‘NFS’. Try
Get-PSRepository to see all available registered module repositories.
At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PowerShellGet\1.0.0.1\PSModule.psm1:1397 char:3

•     PackageManagement\Find-Package @PSBoundParameters | Microsoft ...

•     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Microsoft.Power…ets.FindPackage:FindPackage) [Find-Package], Exceptio
      n
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoMatchFoundForCriteria,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.FindPackage

I think it’s only available on Windows server

Thank you for looking in to this. I am running Windows 2019 Server

Hey Aboo and welcome to the forums!

When you format code, please be sure to follow this:
Codeformatting_1

I took a look at this and it’s a manifest file:

Directory: C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules

ModuleType Version    PreRelease Name                                PSEdition ExportedCommands
---------- -------    ---------- ----                                --------- ----------------
Manifest   1.0                   NFS                                 Core,Desk {Get-NfsMappedIdentity, Get-NfsNetgroup, Install-NfsMappingStore, New-NfsMappedIdentity…}

In order to be able to use this, I’d recommend making sure that the program NFS is available for use which can be found here.

Let me know if this helps!

Do you have all of the NFS rsat components installed? Should be part of that

It comes with one of the available Windows server features. If I had to guess I’d say either the file server or the ressource manager for file server.

I believe this is the command
Install-WindowsFeature FS-NFS-Service -IncludeManagementTools

Sounds plausible. :+1:t3:

Thank you all for help on this. I found something (please excuse my ignorance). There is two power shell. One is “Windows Powershell” and “Windows Powershell (x86)”. I have the commands and NFS modules available if I start the “Windows Powershell” . However, they aren’t available with “Windows Powershell (x86)”. I am using x86 architecture. A couple of things if you could help:

1. Although it doesn’t matter now, I am keen to know s the difference between “Windows Powershell” and “Windows Powershell (x86)”?

2. When I run the command in “Windows Powershell”, the command is there and executing. However, I get the following error. It is not a very helpful message :frowning: Is there a way to debug this? There is nothing in the Windows event logs (Application, system and security). I also figured that none of the options work with this command. The options are listed in Set-NfsClientConfiguration (NFS) | Microsoft Learn

PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-NfsClientConfiguration -MountType hard
Set-NfsClientConfiguration : A general error occurred that is not covered by a more specific error code.
At line:1 char:1
+ Set-NfsClientConfiguration -MountType hard
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (MSFT_NfsClientConfig:root/Microsoft/...NfsClientConfig) [Set-NfsClientCon
   figuration], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 1,Set-NfsClientConfiguration

PS C:\Windows\system32>

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.