Try/Catch with Get-WmiObject

I have a very simple piece of code, It has to be simple as I am a beginner. I am trying to catch some errors coming out of Get-WmiObject. The idea being, that if I receive an error (presumably the $machine is not accessible) I wish to put the $machine in an array and print at the end,

$errs;
foreach($macine in get-content ./SERVS.TXT) {
Try {
$hrdsvrs = Get-WmiObject -class Win32_processor -computername $macine | ft systemname,Name,DeviceID,NumberOfCores,NumberOfLogicalProcessor;
}
Catch {
$errs.add($macine)
} # Write-Output $hrdsvrs;
# Write-Output "\nDone!";
foreach ($svr in $hrdsvrs) {
Write-Output $svr;
}
#Set-Clipboard -Append -value $reply
#Write-Output $reply;
}
if ($errs.Count -gt 0) {
Write-Output "\n\n ERRORS\n"
foreach ($err in $errs) {
Write-Output "Unable to connect to: $machine";
}
}
Sorry for the sloppy code, it doesn't want to stay formatted.

So… what’s the problem?

Although there are errors based on masculine in the text file, those machines are unreachable, still as I debug, the errors are not caught.

I’m not sure what “masculine “ means here, but the problem is you haven’t enabled error trapping. I suggest reading “the big book of PowerShell error handling,” which is free on our ebooks page.

You can only catch terminating errors. Try setting “-ErrorAction” to Stop

Try {

$hrdsvrs = Get-WmiObject -class Win32_processor -computername $macine -ErrorAction Stop | ft systemname,Name,DeviceID,NumberOfCores,NumberOfLogicalProcessor;
}

Catch {

$errs.add($macine)

} # Write-Output $hrdsvrs;

Notice the difference in output between these two commands

@('Realcomputer1','fakecomputer','Realcomputer1') | %{try{Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_OperatingSystem -ComputerName $PSItem}catch{'Something Happened'}}

vs.

@('Realcomputer1','fakecomputer','Realcomputer1') | %{try{Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_OperatingSystem -ComputerName $PSItem -ErrorAction Stop}catch{'Something Happened'}}

I HATE SPELL CHECKER! yeah, that was supposed to say machines.

forgive my typo!! (typed the same hostname twice in my example)

@('Realcomputer','fakecomputer','Realcomputer1') | %{try{Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_OperatingSystem -ComputerName $PSItem}catch{'Something Happened'}}

vs.

@('Realcomputer','fakecomputer','Realcomputer1') | %{try{Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_OperatingSystem -ComputerName $PSItem -ErrorAction Stop}catch{'Something Happened'}}

Try I this way…

Clear-Host

$errs.ForEach{$errs.Clear()}

$Servers = "$env:COMPUTERNAME",'Lab01','localhost','Lab02','127.0.0.1'

$errs = $null
$errs = @{}

foreach($machine in $Servers) 
{
    Try 
    {
        Get-WmiObject -class Win32_processor -computername $machine -ErrorAction Stop | 
        ft systemname,Name,DeviceID,NumberOfCores,NumberOfLogicalProcessor
    }
    Catch 
    { $errs.add("$machine",'Connection Failed') }
}

if ($errs.Count -gt 0) 
{
    Write-Warning -Message 'ERRORS'
    $errs
}

LOL SilentlyContinue means “do not trap errors.” Use Stop. And please, read the very concise ebook I referenced above. It would have made all that easier for you! That’s why Dave wrote it!

Hey DonJ, I get that (I have read every book you have on this site - and regular recommend them to other - and more of course), and that is what I had, but I posted a previous version. It was late when I did this and I’m very old, so, half-timers kicks in and stuff happens. So, corrected.