Start-Process issue

One of our clients uses a program called Meditech. It has an .exe that can be installed as a Service, which is needed in multi user environments (terminal server/windows 7 with multiple people logged in at once…etc).

The exe is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\MEDITECH\Print\VMAGICPPII.EXE on all client machines. If I navigate to this path using the command prompt and then run VMAGICPPII.EXE -i a second dos window pops up and installs the service.

I am trying to automate this in Powershell, but I am not getting any results and am unsure on how to either go about this differently or figure out why this is not working.

Below is my test code, I even tried to go directly to the directory and launched the .exe directly.

$path64 = “VMAGICPPII.EXE”
$64 = “C:\Program Files (x86)\MEDITECH\Print\VMAGICPPII.EXE”
$path32 = ‘“C:\Program Files\MEDITECH\Print\VMAGICPPII.EXE”’
$Installed = $false
$parameter = “-i”
$path64

if(Test-Path -Path $64)
{
Write-Debug “64bit System”
#Start-Process -FilePath $path64 -ArgumentList “-i” -wait
cd "c:"
cd “program files (x86)”
cd “meditech”
cd “print”

& “$path64 $parameter”

iex “$path64 $parameter”

Try launching it with cmd.exe

Example:

& cmd.exe /c $Path32 -i

Hi Daniel,

I think you might be using the wrong variable in your Start-Process or & call. You are testing for the existence of the executable with $64 but you use $path64 which does not contain the full path to start the process? I would get rid of "$path64 = “VMAGICPPII.EXE”, rename $64 to $path64 and modify the Test-Path statement to use $path64.

I hope that makes sense.

Regards
Daniel

Daniel, that would be the case in this test script now, but that is because I Had modified the variable after I tried to CD to the path, sorry for the confusion, I knew I was pasting bad code, I didn’t realize there was a mistake in it though.

Jack, & cmd.exe /c $Path32 -i is working, thanks!