SQL Connection Failure

$connection = New-object -TypeName System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection
   $connection.ConnectionString = "Server=localhost\SQLEXPRESS;Database=admindata;Trusted_Connection=True;"
   $connection.open() 

I am using windows 10 terminal and I have SQL server 2012 Express installed on my laptop. I am practicing the Nugget by Don Jones which is on Uploading information from powershell to SQL server. Problem I am facing is that I am not able to open the connection .Connection object gets created but it is in closed status. If I try to open the connection object using open() method it gives me below error.

Exception calling “Open” with “0” argument(s): “Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.”
At line:1 char:1

• $connection.Open()
  •   + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : OverflowException

I’ve literally never seen that error in that context.

If you’ve not done so, download the SQL Server Management Studio for Express and see if you can connect using that. Also, ensure that the database “admindata” has been created.

Hi Don,

I am using the SQL Server Management studio 2012 Express as you suggested in the CBT nugget. AdminData database is also already created but still not sure why its not allowing me to connect. I googled a lot but did not find such error anywhere.Mostly people struggle with network based errors but this error is not giving me any clue as to what might be going wrong.

Hmm. That’s a pretty old version. Older Express had a “user mode” you might be running into. I imagine you’re running the shell as admin, but when you use SSMS, you’re not admin, correct?

Could you run a more recent version of Express?