Simulate changes in the advanced section of the configure button of a network adapter

Hi,

I’m trying to make a change to the advanced settings of a network adapter with PowerShell code.

In Windows the path is as follows:
Control Panel → Network and Sharing Center → Change adapter settings → Right click on the adapter in question → Properties → Configure… → Advanced → Select in the list “Non-Admin Access” → Change the drop-down list that appears to “Allowed”

Maybe it’s too specific to the adapter so maybe it’s why I’m not finding anything interresting after hours of research.

I had to do other changes like setting dns, DHCP and metric with PS command like this :

Set-NetIPInterface –InterfaceIndex XYZ -Dhcp Enabled

But I’m out of look for that very specific tinkering.

I’m not scared to play in the registry if needed.

The ultimate goal is making a one click PS script to configure that on any PC.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you for reading

Hi Welcome to the forum!

There is a much quicker way to get to the view you describe. What you’re looking at is the device instance from device manager.

Right click the start button and choose device manager (alternatively you can search for device manager in start)
Under the network adapters you can see your individual network devices.

The advanced tab is specific to the network chip and the specific driver installed. You may look into the PnPUtil module or the older devcon.exe tool for managing devices.

1 Like

Hi,

First, thank you very much for your answer.

I fooled around your 2 links but didn’t find too much exemple so I will google them more today and come back here if I found something useful.

Accessing those “network chip” specific advanced option doesn’t look very common.

I was hoping to find fairly direct commands like

“list-Advanced -MyNetWorkCard”
“Set “Non-Admin access” Allowed”

Looks like it’s going to need a lot more tinkering.

Thanks again and have a nice day.