simple while true do cmd to run a wmi query every second

All,

I am confused on how to exactly run a while true loop. Essentially I would like to run this command repeatedly (every second) until I cancel it out.

EX. - > get-WmiObject -class Win32_printer | select name"

Something like this below

while true ; do (get-WmiObject -class Win32_printer | select name) |start-sleep 5;done **** I know syntax and layout of this is wrong…I am thoroughly confused.

Thanks for the help.
Rob.

While is evaluating to see if something is true, if so it will continue to loop until it’s false. Below I’m looking for a printer named Foo. When printers are returned, then the object will not be null, so “printers -eq $null” would be False and exit the loop.

do {
    "Looping"
    $printers = Get-WmiObject -class Win32_printer -Filter "Name Like '%foo%'" | Select Name
    Sleep -Seconds 5

}while($printers -eq $null)

$printers

With that said, be very careful doing a loop every second as you can bring a system to a grinding halt if you have a bad infinity loop. You should also put a timeout of some sort so that if you look for a printer for more than 20 seconds to exit the loop:

$attempts = 1

do {
    "Attempt {0}" -f $attempts
    $printers = Get-WmiObject -class Win32_printer -Filter "Name Like '%foo%'"| Select Name
    Sleep -Seconds 5
    $attempts++

}while($printers -or $attempts -ne 5)

$printers

Maybe something like this : You can change the $end variable

$i = 0
$end = 10
$arr = 1..$end
do
{ 
Get-WmiObject -Class win32_Printer | select name
$arr[$i]
$i++
} while ($i -lt $end)

Rob,

Thank you for the info and examples. I will give these a try.

Rob