Simple problem with import-csv

I have a simple CSV:

Name, Aashley, Adagdag,

I want to assign rights to a folder with that same name, which I have done in the past using this cmdlet, using:

$users5 = import-csv C:\Users\swindmiller\Desktop\Users5.csv ForEach ($Folder in $users5) { Add-NTFSAccess -path \\FileSERVER\Users\$Folder.Name -Account MYDOMAIN\$folder.Name -AccessRights FullControl

}

This is my error:

Add-NTFSAccess : Cannot bind parameter 'Account'. Cannot convert value "MYDOMAIN\@{Name=Aashley}.Name" to type "Security2.IdentityReference2". Error: "Some or all identity references could not be translated." At line:3 char:90 + ... fileSERVER\Users\$Folder.Name -Account MYDOMAIN\$folder.Name -Access ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Add-NTFSAccess], ParameterBindingException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,NTFSSecurity.AddAccess

I know the problem is in “@{Name=Aashley}.Name”, it’s not letting me reference just the name and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. Shouldn’t $Folder.Name just give me “Aashley”?

I KNOW this is going to be a stupid problem on my part so be easy :slight_smile:

Add-NTFSAccess -path "\\FileSERVER\Users\$($Folder.Name)" -Account "MYDOMAIN\$($folder.Name)" -AccessRights FullControl

Have to wrap the variable with a property in a subexpression $(). Otherwise it attempts to turn the variable into a string before it gets to the .name.

Thanks! I knew it was something simple but something I would need to know for the future…it worked perfectly.

Thanks for your fast help!