SideIndicator Omitted for Object-Compare -PassThru with Singular Result

I’m comparing 2 Get-ADGroupmember arrays:
$DiffMems = (Compare-Object $users1 $users2 -PassThru)
OR
[array]$DiffMems = (Compare-Object $users1 $users2 -PassThru)
If the results contain more than one user I get a SideIndicator of => or <=.
2 results
If the results contain only a single user I get no side indicator the field drops to the bottom of the list and I have a WriteErrorStream field with no value.
single result
Unfortunately I need to use the side indicator to tailor an email with the results of the group comparison.

What am I missing?

Try not using -PassThru

There are times where a single object is converted to a scalar value, so it could be comparing an array to a single item. You might try just wrapping the variables in @() to ensure they are arrays, even with a single item.

$DiffMems = (Compare-Object @($users1) @($users2) -PassThru)

I need to use the passthru because I use the output to pull a Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership.
I haven’t had much luck doing that with the default output.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I tried surrounding with the @() but it doesn’t seems to have an effect. Tried it with and without the [array] on the variable assignment. It makes no difference.
[array]$DiffMems = (Compare-Object @($users1) @($users2) -PassThru)

It is interesting that this issue only comes up when using the -PassThru option. If it’s left off it gives the correct result with a SideIndicator but then my subsequent Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership fails with the error:
Cannot convert the “@{InputObject=CN=Mike; SideIndicator=<=}” value of type “System.Management.Automation.PSCus tomObject” to type “Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADPrincipal”.

There doesn’t seem to be a property I can pass to the Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership using the default output.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I’ve also attempted to encapsulate the failing compare into a trace-command and it does identify a problem for each compare:
DEBUG: ETS Information: 0 : Exception System.Management.Automation.PSArgumentException: Cannot compare “CN=Tessa” because it is not IComparable.

I thought that might have been it so I tried comparing on just one property samaccountname and it no longer throws the error but I still get no value for SideIndicator and the writeerrorstream with no value. The trace just shows all the samaccountnames with no errors:
DEBUG: ETS Information: 0 : WriteLine A0024
(where A0024 is the samaccountname)

I’m thinking it has to do with something similar to the issue described here:
https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/issues/6512
But that doesn’t tell me how to resolve or workaround the issue.

I’m going to rewrite the whole thing in c# unless someone has an idea.