Set printer to duplexing mode after Windows forgets it

I’m a PowerShell newbie looking for some help with a simple script to alter printer duplexing.

My HP printer has duplexing capability, but Windows seems to forget that frequently. Using Windows’ Device Setting’s UI, I can change it from “Not Installed” to “Installed”, after which it works for a time, but eventually it reverts to “Not Installed” (typically within a day). Since it takes about 10 clicks to get to that setting, I’d like to automate the equivalent functionality with PowerShell, but I can’t figure out how. All the properties I can find that relate to duplexing seem to be read-only.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

RoyLevin,
Welcome to the forum. :wave:t4:

Instead of autoamting the workaround I’d try to solve the actual issue. :man_shrugging:t4:

Have you tried updating or changing the driver? Could it be your printer is actually broken? The information the printer provides to the OS may be corrupted.

I’d try to search for a solution in a printer or even HP printer related forum.

Thank you for the prompt response, Olaf!

I have tried several things. The printer isn’t broken, in the sense that it does print in duplex mode when I apply that setting in the Device Settings dialog. It just doesn’t stay set.

The printer is an HP LaserJet P2055dn. The driver is the HP LaserJet PCL6. When the problem began occurring, I checked that I had the latest driver, but I just checked again and found a newer one. I’ve installed that and I’ll see whether the problem recurs.

I’ll let you know what happens – thanks for the suggestion!

Roy

~WRD0001.jpg

We usually use the universal driver from HP and do not have such problems. At least not that I know of.

It might not be a permanent error. :smirk: The error may occur only sporadically.

Yes, that’s the one I have now. I’m not sure why I had the other one, but it’s gone now. :slight_smile:

Thanks again,

Roy

~WRD0001.jpg