Script Resource: Ensure Absent?

I’m starting to use the script resource quite a bit, and after writing a few resources I realize that there is no “Ensure = Present/Absent”
My question is, how are people handling this?
I’m trying to write my DSC script so that I can set a variable at the top:
(pre)
param(
[string]$Action=“Present”
)
(/pre)

The idea being that I can use the same script to generate a mof to build a server, and also to generate a mof to revert a server.
Has anyone else tackled this already?

I’m thinking I could use my $Action as a switch statement in both the Test and Set actions to either ensure the result is present or absent.

Q: In general are people doing this, or is this a waste of time?

Thanks,

Mike

Correct. Not all resources provide an “Ensure” setting; the Script Resource only provides Get/Set/Test settings, which are script blocks. If you want something gone, you write a script item that makes sure it’s gone. If you want something present, you write a separate script setting to make it present. The downside of script resources is that they’re not as easily reusable across situations.

What you probably want to do instead is write a custom resource, as a script module. There, you can definitely define an Ensure setting, and your Get/Set/Test functions can handle it accordingly. What you’re trying to do with the script resource is more than it was intended for, and you’re going to fight it.