Script is looking for a Get-Content file path on remote server

Serverlist.txt content (localhost and RemoteServer

When I run this on localhost it populates the -RemoteAddress from the $ips variable but it looks for ServerList.txt in the RemoteServer local path.

1. How can I make it look for for ServerList.txt in localhost?
  2. I have c:\users\username\... how can i change this to an environment variable so that it will look in the $PSModulePath of the current use
Her is my script (RE-purposed)

[pre]

Begin {$ErrorActionPreference = ‘SilentlyContinue’
$Servers = New-PSSession -ComputerName (Get-Content -path ‘C:\Users\username\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\modules\SetIPs\ServerList.txt’) -Credential $Credential
Get-PSSession | Select-Object -Property ComputerName,State,Availability,ComputerType | Format-Table -AutoSize
$User = Read-Host ‘Type “READY” to countinue’
Write-Host “Updating 2 exception rules IP Address Scope”
}#Begin

Process{Invoke-Command -Session $Servers -ScriptBlock {
$ips = Get-Content -Path ‘C:\Users\username\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\modules\SetIPs\IPList.txt’
$names = Get-NetFirewallRule -Name ‘SMB/RPC exception*’
foreach ($name in $names)
{Set-NetFirewallRule -Name ‘SMB/RPC exception*’ -RemoteAddress $ips
}
}#invoke

}#Process

End{
Get-NetFirewallRule -Name ‘SMB/RPC exceptions*’ | Select -Property Name,Enabled,Direction
Get-PSSession | Remove-PSSession
}#End

Export-ModuleMember -Variable Servers,user,ExampleErrorLogFile

[/pre]

Please format your code as code using the code tag button right above the edit windows of the post editor. You can edit your already existing post and fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Dynamically getting local use profile.

Either use

$env:USERPROFILE

or

$HOME

If you mean some file on your system that you want to use on a remote host, then it has to be scoped. See the documentation.

you could use local variables in remote PowerShell sessions by passing arguments to the remote scriptblock and capturing them inside the scriptblock with either the $args automatic variable or param() blocks. But since Windows PowerShell v3, we can use the scope modifier $using to change the scope of local variables. This makes them work in the remote session very easily without passing any arguments and capturing the arguments or parameters.

You can use them with Invoke-Command and New-PSSession:

1.The $args automatic variable
2.The $using scope modifier
3.The param() block

About Remote Variables

SHORT DESCRIPTION Explains how to use local and remote variables in remote commands.

LONG DESCRIPTION
You can use variables in commands that you run on remote computers. Simply assign a value to the variable and then use the variable in place of the value.

By default, the variables in remote commands are assumed to be defined in the session in which the command runs. You can also use variables that are defined in the local session, but you must identify them as local variables in the command.

USING LOCAL VARIABLES
You can also use local variables in remote commands, but you must indicate that the variable is defined in the local session.
Beginning in Windows PowerShell 3.0, you can use the Using scope modifier to identify a local variable in a remote command.

The syntax of Using is as follows:

$Using:<VariableName>

In the following example, the $ps variable is created in the local session, but is used in the session in which the command runs. The Using scope modifier identifies $ps as a local variable.

$ps = "Windows PowerShell"
Invoke-Command -ComputerName S1 -ScriptBlock {
  Get-WinEvent -LogName $Using:ps
}

You can also use the Using scope modifier in PSSessions.

$s = New-PSSession -ComputerName S1
$ps = "Windows PowerShell"
Invoke-Command -Session $s -ScriptBlock {Get-WinEvent -LogName $Using:ps}

If I understood what you’re trying to do you don’t need a proces block. Invoke-Command should be able do deal with multiple sessions by itself. The script block inside Invoke-Command runs on the remote machine. Therefor the path inside this script block points to the remote machines path. You can populate the content of the IPList file outside the script block and use the variable inside. This should work actually

$ServerList = Get-Content -path ‘C:\Users\username\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\modules\SetIPs\ServerList.txt’
$Servers = New-PSSession -ComputerName $ServerList -Credential $Credential
Get-PSSession |
Select-Object -Property ComputerName,State,Availability,ComputerType |
Format-Table -AutoSize
Write-Host “Updating 2 exception rules IP Address Scope”

$ips = Get-Content -Path ‘C:\Users\username\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\modules\SetIPs\IPList.txt’
Invoke-Command -Session $Servers -ScriptBlock {
$names = Get-NetFirewallRule -Name ‘SMB/RPC exception*’
foreach ($name in $names) {
Set-NetFirewallRule -Name ‘SMB/RPC exception*’ -RemoteAddress $USING:ips
}
}#invoke

Get-NetFirewallRule -Name ‘SMB/RPC exceptions*’ | Select-Object -Property Name,Enabled,Direction
Get-PSSession | Remove-PSSession

Export-ModuleMember -Variable Servers,user,ExampleErrorLogFile

… untested

BTW: formating code means to indent code accordingly as well! :wink:

Thanks @Olof and @Postanote for you response. It has been of tremendous help. Issue was resolved.

I’m glad to be of any help. You might share your solution to help other having the same or a similar problem. :wink: