schtasks /query /fo LIST /tn ‘\Receive Orders’

Get a result

Folder: \

HostName: My-Server-VM

TaskName: \Receive Orders

Next Run Time: 2/25/2020 2:40:00 PM

Logon Mode: Interactive/Background

What I would like to get from the query is this

Look at the status if the status is “Ready” do nothing if the Status is “Running” send me an email.

I don’t know how to achieve this.

I also tried Get-ScheduledTask but I just don’t know how to get this to email me only when the task is runnig.

You may start with learning the very basics of Powershell first. The cmdlet to send a mail message is Send-MailMessage. Please read the complete help including the examples to learn how to use it.

BTW: Did you follow the tip TheMadTechnician gave you in the comments on StackOverflow?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60402821/schtask-script-to-email-status-of-a-job

A better approach would be to edit what is being executed in \Receive Orders to send the email when it starts so it’s the same process. The next would be to make an email task that’s a dependency for \Receive Orders, something like this:

It’s a scheduled task, so you could also just run the email at the same time on the same schedule. Checking the status of the running service is typically looping continually to check the state which would be running all of the time.

The comment that he left for me has nothing to do with the problem I am having. I don’t care about the time when the job is running or if its off by 30 seconds, I just want to get a notification when its running.

‘Receive Orders’ job runs for about 2 minutes. So for example job starts at 10:00 am should finish at 10:02. At 10:04 my “Check Receive Orders” kicks off and checks if the “Receive Orders” is still running. If it is send me an email if it doesn’t doesn’t send me an email.

I guess what Im asking for is how do phrase that

I just don’t know what to put in front of all of this to get the result.

$emailFrom = “test@test.com
$emailTo = “test@test.com
$Subject = “Receive Orders Running”
$Body = “Job Running.”
$SmtpServer = “smtp.server.com
$smtp = new-object Net.Mail.SmtpClient($smtpServer)

if = status is Running - This is incorrect I know

{
$smtp.Send($emailFrom, $emailTo, $subject, $body)
}
else
{
#Do Nothing
}

As suggested you should put the code to send an email into the task. To send a mail message you could use the cmdlet Send-MailMessage. … maybe like this:

$SendMailMessageProps = @{
From = ‘test@test.com’
To = ‘test@test.com’
SMTPServer = ‘smtp.server.com
Subject = ‘Receive Orders Running’
Body = ‘Job Running.’
}

Send-MailMessage @SendMailMessageProps

This send an email but it sends it when the job is in ready or running state.

To clarify I am checking on an existing Task Scheduler job with a new Task Scheduler job. Two different Tasks.

PS C:\Windows\system32> schtasks /query /fo LIST /tn ‘\Receive Orders’
$SendMailMessageProps = @{
From = ‘test@test.com’
To = ‘test@test.com’
SMTPServer = ‘smtp.test.com
Subject = ‘Receive Orders Running’
Body = ‘Job Running.’
}

Send-MailMessage @SendMailMessageProps

Folder:
HostName: test-VM
TaskName: \Receive Orders
Next Run Time: 2/26/2020 9:40:00 AM
Status: Ready - It should look at this field and only email when Running
Logon Mode: Interactive/Background

OK. So you’re not able to change the action of the task “Receive Orders”, right?

Does this help?

(Get-ScheduledTask -TaskPath \ -TaskName ‘Receive Orders’).State

Correct “Receive Orders” needs to stay as it is cannot change the action of the task.

With the command you get

Get-ScheduledTask : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name ‘TaskPath’.
At line:1 char:20

• (Get-ScheduledTask -TaskPath \ -TaskName ‘Receive Orders’).State
  • CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:slight_smile: [Get-ScheduledTask], ParameterBindingException
  • FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Get-ScheduledTask

I also tried this

Get-ScheduledJob | ? State -eg running
Get-ScheduledJob -TaskPath \Receive Orders

and got same an error.

What Im missing is when I run

Get-ScheduledTask -name ‘Receive Orders’

I get the output I need, once that output is displayed there should be something to say look at the status and if it =Running send an email

I don’t have that argument anywhere in the script.

Please - format your code as code here in the forum using the code tag button named “PRE”. Thanks. And please post the complete output you get with the command

Get-ScheduledTask -name ‘Receive Orders’

If you get the output for the desired scheduled task you can “extract” the status with this piece of code:
(Get-ScheduledTask -name ‘Receive Orders’).state

You can use this to create a condition to check for the state and send an email if the state is what you expect.
If you don’t know how to create a condition I repeat my suggestion from my first reply. :wink: Additionally you should read the help for about_if.