Running SendKeys commands from a .lnk (shortcut) with powershell doesn't work

I’m playing around with SendKeys and powershell. I tried to close the active window with SendKeys (ALT + F4) after running a shortcut. I got this working with adding the following command to the Target field of a Windows shortcut(.lnk):

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File “C:\Users\user\Documents\TEST\test.ps1”

Code in test.ps1:

(New-Object -ComObject Wscript.Shell).SendKeys("%{F4}")

When I run the shortcut the active windows closes. Now I wanted to make this work without .ps1 script. I tried to run the powershell command from the Target field of the shortcut and that didn’t work.

The commands I added to the shortcut Target field that didn’t work:

$ C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe $wshell = New-Object -ComObject wscript.shell; $wshell.SendKeys("%{F4}")
$ C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe "$wshell = New-Object -ComObject wscript.shell; $wshell.SendKeys("%{F4}")"
$ C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe (New-Object -ComObject Wscript.Shell).SendKeys("%{F4}")
$ C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c powershell.exe -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass $wshell = New-Object -ComObject wscript.shell; $wshell.SendKeys("%{F4}")
$ C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c powershell.exe -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass "$wshell = New-Object -ComObject wscript.shell; $wshell.SendKeys("%{F4}")"
$ C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c powershell.exe -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass (New-Object -ComObject Wscript.Shell).SendKeys("%{F4}")

What I’m doing wrong in the commands above? I need to use a different syntax when I run powershell commands from Shortcuts?

pwrsheller,
Welcome to the forum. :wave:t4:

I’m curious - how did you figure out what to use as command line?

I’d recommend for you to read at least the help for

powershell /?

… and …

Please read the help completely including the examples to learn how to use the commands.