Running get-childitem on remote server to check file versions

All,

I am trying to develop a script that queries a list of server and runs the below command to get the file versions. It looks in the dir listed and searches all subdirectories for anything with *.exe and reports the file version. The command below works and I am trying to figure out how to run this against multiple servers (txt file). I know how to run get-content to access the server list but I am confused at how to query the remote servers because Get-ChildItem does not have -ComputerName.

Can I use invoke-command? What other options do I have?

Get-ChildItem "C:\Program Files\ccleaner\" -Include *.exe -Recurse |Select-Object -ExpandProperty VersionInfo | select-object FileDescription, OriginalFilename, FileVersion | ft -AutoSize

OUTPUT from above command

FileDescription OriginalFilename FileVersion

CCleaner ccleaner.exe 4, 10, 00, 4570
CCleaner Installer 2.0.0.0

You have two options.

Invoke-Command is one.

The other is to map a PSDrive to the server, and then run the command locally against that drive. This will likely be far, far slower.

Don,

Thanks for the help. You rock.

I looked into this further and have this working fine. Just need help with formatting the output to include the servername.

$servers = Get-Content -Path C:\Aventura\PowershellScripts\RodServers.txt ForEach ($server in $servers) { invoke-command -computername $server {Get-ChildItem "C:\Program Files\ccleaner\" -Include *.exe -Recurse |Select-Object -ExpandProperty VersionInfo | select-object FileDescription, OriginalFilename, FileVersion | ft -AutoSize}} I would like to have the servername included in the output. What is the easiest way to accomplish this?

OUTPUT from above command

FileDescription OriginalFilename FileVersion

CCleaner Installer 2.0.0.0

Stop using Format-Table on the remote machine. The output would normally include the computername when it gets to your computer. Format it there. The column is PSComputerName, but it isn’t added until the output hits your machine. When you have th remote machine formatting, you’re preventing it from doing what you want :). Formatting is semi-evil.

And I don’t think you need the ForEach. invoke-command can accept multiple computer names and in fact will parallelize the task for you. You’re actually just slowing it down.

Don,

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated. I see the PSComputername when I remove the -ft. What is the bst option to get output to look like a table but by not using -ft?

Sorry…Trying to learn something new here.

FYI - Invoke-command works fine as well…and quicker.

As I said, pipe the output of Invoke-Command to FT. That way you’ll have the computer name to include.

I got it working. Thanks everyone for the help.

I changed things up and now have everything outputting to a file.

Thank you for your suggestion. It does work rather nicely.

Here is the file code of which I piped it out to a file.

$servers = Get-Content -Path C:\PowershellScripts\RodServers.txt $out = ForEach ($server in $servers) { invoke-command -computername $server {Get-ChildItem "C:\Program Files\ccleaner\" -Include *.exe -Recurse | Select-Object -ExpandProperty VersionInfo | select-object FileDescription, OriginalFilename, FileVersion, @{Name='ServerName';Expression={ $env:COMPUTERNAME }} | ft -AutoSize }}

$out|Out-File C:\PowershellScripts\Versions.log

I used this it was quick and no remoting needed.

$results = New-Object System.Collections.ArrayList
$Computers = Get-Content D:\servers.txt

Foreach ($Computer in $Computers) 
{
    set-location "\\$computer\c$\users"

$file = Get-Item  Mandatory.v2

$results += New-Object psObject -Property @{'Computer'=$computer;'FileName'=$file.FullName;'LastWriteTime'=$file.lastwritetime; 'Size'=($file | Get-ChildItem).count}

}
    $results

Or you could do it like this:

$java = Get-Content C:\Scripts\computer.txt
$Version = foreach( $jav in $java) {Get-ChildItem ‘C:*Program Files*\Java’ -Include *.exe -Recurse}
$Version.versionInfo | select @{Name=‘WSN’;Expression={ $env:COMPUTERNAME }}, FileDescription, OriginalFilename, FileVersion |
Format-Table -AutoSize