Remotely Invoking SCCM Client Actions

Hey there everyone. Me again. I’ve been writing more and more functions in my “SCCM Toolbox” for the admins in my environment, and thought I’d start sharing them here. I post snippets on my blog as well, but figure since this gets a little more exposure, that I’d share with the class. :slight_smile: Let me know if these are useful and I’ll keep posting them!

Function Invoke-CMClient{
<#
    .SYNOPSIS
       Invoke commands remotely on an SCCM Client for a system or systems.

.DESCRIPTION
       This function allows you to remotely trigger some of the more common actions that you would find on the local
       Configuration Manager console.

.PARAMETER -ComputerName 
       Specifies the target computer for the management operation. Enter a fully qualified domain name, a NetBIOS name, or an IP address. When the remote computer
       is in a different domain than the local computer, the fully qualified domain name is required.

This command defaults to localhost.

.PARAMETER -Action 
       Specifies the action to be taken on the SCCM Client.  The available actions are as follows:
                HardwareInv - Runs a Hardware Inventory Cycle on the target machine.
                SoftwareInv - Runs a Software Inventory Cycle on the target machine.
                UpdateScan - Runs a Software Updates Scan Cycle on the target machine.
                MachinePol - Runs a Machine Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle on the target machine.
                UserPolicy - Runs a User Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle on the target machine.
                FileCollect - Runs a File Collection Cycle on the target machine.

.INPUTS
       You can pipe a computer name to Invoke-CMClient

.EXAMPLE
       Invoke-CMClientAction -ComputerName server01 -Action HardwareInv

The above command will invoke the Configuration Manager Client's Hardware Inventory Cycle on the targeted computer.  The return will look like the following:

__GENUS          : 1
        __CLASS          : __PARAMETERS
        __SUPERCLASS     :
        __DYNASTY        : __PARAMETERS
        __RELPATH        : __PARAMETERS
        __PROPERTY_COUNT : 1
        __DERIVATION     : {}
        __SERVER         : server01
        __NAMESPACE      : ROOT\ccm
        __PATH           : \\server01\ROOT\ccm:__PARAMETERS
        ReturnValue      :
        PSComputerName   : server01

.NOTES

Created by Will Anderson. 

http://lastwordinnerd.com/category/posts/powershell-scripting/

This script is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind.
    #>

PARAM(
            [Parameter(Mandatory=$True,ValueFromPipeline=$True,ValueFromPipelineByPropertyName=$True)]
            [string[]]$ComputerName = $env:COMPUTERNAME,

[Parameter(Mandatory=$True)]
            [ValidateSet('HardwareInv','SoftwareInv','UpdateScan','MachinePol','UserPolicy','DiscoveryInv','FileCollect')]
            [string]$Action

)#Close Param

#$Action...actions...actions...
    SWITCH ($action) {
                        'HardwareInv'  {$_action = "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001}"}
                        'SoftwareInv'  {$_action = "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002}"}
                        'UpdateScan'   {$_action = "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000113}"}
                        'MachinePol'   {$_action = "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000021}"}
                        'UserPolicy'   {$_action = "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000027}"}
                        'FileCollect'  {$_action = "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000010}"}
                        } #switch

FOREACH ($Computer in $ComputerName){
        if ($PSCmdlet.ShouldProcess("$action $computer")) {

Invoke-WmiMethod -ComputerName $Computer -Namespace root\CCM -Class SMS_Client -Name TriggerSchedule -ArgumentList "$_action"

}#if
    }#End FOREACH Statement

}#Close Function Invoke-CMClient

Absolutely - thank you! Your’e welcome to contact me if you’d like to post these as blog articles, and I definitely recommend submitting to the TechNet Script Gallery as well.

Will,

Thank you!. You might want to look into Adam Bertram’s module which he posted into the TechEd Gallery and his blog a couple of month ago. It includes additional functions to manage the CMClient remotely.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/ConfigMgr-Client-Action-16a364a5

Many thanks to both of you gents! I’ll definitely send you some notes Don! And thanks for posting those links Daniel. I definitely need to work on my use of Try-Catch like Mr. Bertram’s post. I’ll keep exploring. :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t the function name in this code be Invoke-CMClientAction as is listed in the example text?

Hi William, thanks for taking the time to share. I have been looking for some good SCCM tools - I have some bits here and there cobbled together. I am relatively new to Powershell, but from me - I think your formatting is excellent

When loading this into Visual Studio Code, it’s balking at not having [CmdletBinding(SupportsShouldProcess=$true,…)], since it is invoked within the foreach() block.

How to use the given script, can anyone guide me. I’m quite new to powershell.