'pwsh' is not recognized as an internal or external

Hello. I just installed PowerShell v7.1.1 on WS2019 (non-desktop experience) and am unable to start PS7 with the ‘pwsh’ command. Everything I’m reading suggests ‘pwsh’ should work (even from within PS5.1), but it’s not. I’m getting ‘pwsh’ is not recognized as an internal or external command. . . Sounds like it may be a PATH environment variable issue, but I’m not sure what to do here as I’m seeing different explanations onlineand this is a bit over my head.

Does it sound like I’m on the right track? If so, is there a relatively easy way to append to the existing PATH? Do I need to provide more info here? I’d appreciate a point in the right direction.

Thanks!

Try to execute the ‘pwsh.exe’ with its full path ‘C:\Program Files\PowerShell\7\pwsh.exe’. If that works you should add the path to your PATH environment variable

Open the PATH System Envrionemnt and add the following line

C:\Program Files\PowerShell\7\

Thank you both for your help!

In this case – as far as I can tell – a reboot was the cure.

I fired up the server this morning eager to figure out how to add the entry via PowerShell and discovered the entry was already there (it was NOT there when I shutdown for the night yesterday). Now, ‘pwsh’ works both from the Windows and PS command lines as expected. Weird since I didn’t see anything suggesting a reboot was required after PS7 install.

Anyway, all set now. Thanks, again!

-Adam