Problems with using Switch statement

This script runs without error, but I don’t think the switch statement has been implemented correctly. The results apply all registry entries based on the lines of code in the switch block. It should “not” apply $RBM01, because it does not exist in $app.

Please help. Code below

New-Item -Path HKLM:\Software\Geneva\Warehousing -Name Packages
$app = get-childitem c:\install$computername
$computername = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem).__Server
$Bginfo = set-itemproperty -Path HKLM:\Software\Geneva\Warehousing\Packages -name ‘trial_03’ -value NOV0173
$RBM03 = set-itemproperty -Path HKLM:\Software\Geneva\Warehousing\Packages -name ‘support_03’ -value NOV01797
$RBM01 = set-itemproperty -Path HKLM:\Software\Geneva\Warehousing\Packages -name ‘trial_01’ -value NOV01796
switch ($app)
{
($app -eq ‘trial_03’) {$Bginfo}
($app -eq ‘support_03’) {$RBM03}
($app -eq ‘trial_01’) {$RBM01}
}

I will refer to code lines using the number 1-12, to make it easier to talk about the code.

On line 4-6 you’re setting your registry keys, before you have even come to the switch statement. Therefore you will always be creating the registry keys, no matter the value of $app.

Line 7-12 will make the code return (write as output, Write-Output) one of the item properties saved on line 4-6, depending on the value of the $app variable, or at least could have. However, -eq doesn’t do pattern matching and the “*” character is not a valid character in a file name, so I’m guessing you really want to a wildcard search. You should then write your switch statement similar to the following:

switch -Wildcard ($app)
{
	"*trial_03*" { <# do trial 03 stuff here#> }
	"*support_03*" { <# do support 03 stuff here#> }
	"*trial_01*" { <# do trial 01 stuff here#> }
}

Additionally, on line 3 you’re setting the $computername variable, but you’re using it the line before, on line 2. I’m guessing this is not what you want to do, so these lines should probably swap places.