Problem with auto-loading of VMware PowerCLI 6.0 modules

Hi, I want to auto-load all PowerCLI 6.0 modules into PowerShell ISE session (or standard PowerShell console). PowerCLI 6.0 was installed under my standard domain account with admin rights on my laptop. However I always run PowerShell console and ISE with run as and use my domain admin account. Having done so path to VMware modules was not automatically added to $env:PSModulePath variable. I created profile.ps1 file with the following content:

$env:PSModulePath = $env:PSModulePath + ";C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI\Modules"
Connect-VIServer vcenter -User myuser -Password mypassword

However Connect-VIServer cmdlet has not been recognized i.e. auto-load of VMware modules did not work. When I added line Import-Module VMware.VimAutomation.Core, before Connect-VIServer . . . the latter will work but I do not know why auto-load did not work since path to modules was added to $env:PSModulePath - Import-Module should be redundant step.

There is a known problem with the PowerCLI modules: LINK

What I do to prevent this is the following:

# Correcting the Environment Variable to the PowerCLI Module, due to a bug in the PowerCLI installer
        #Save the current value in the $p variable.
        $p = [Environment]::GetEnvironmentVariable('PSModulePath')

#Add the new path to the $p variable. Begin with a semi-colon separator.
        $p += ';D:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI\Modules\'

#Add the paths in $p to the PSModulePath value.
        [Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable('PSModulePath',$p)

Import-Module -Name VMware.VimAutomation.Core

# Connect to the VMware vCenter Server
        Connect-VIServer - Server vcenter -User myuser -Password mypassword

I have already done that. So Import-Module VMware.VimAutomation.Core is necessary. Pitty, this should be trivial since auto-loading of modules has been there since PowerShell v3. However VMware moved from snap-ins to modules for the first time in PowerCLI 6.0 so this might have something to do with this new concept.

Bojan, maybe here’s a clue for you: LINK

I will try later if autoloading works for me. The code what I posted is for a SMA runbook; so it’s PowerShell Workflow.

Yes, I have already read this but unfortunately in my case Connect-VIServer cmdlet would fail unless module is imported manually.

This is the code I use on my ISE profile (Microsoft.PowerShellISE_profile.ps1) to add the PowerCLI on it:

#VMware - Logon

$psISE.CurrentPowerShellTab.AddOnsMenu.SubMenus.Add(
“Connect on VMware PowerCLI”, {
Set-Location “C:\VMware”
$VMcred = Get-Credential (“$env:USERNAME$”)
Add-PsSnapin VMware.VimAutomation.Core -ea “SilentlyContinue”
Connect-VIServer -Server srv-01, srv-02, srv-03, srv-04 -Credential $VMcred
},
“Control+Alt+3”
)

#VMware - Logout

$psISE.CurrentPowerShellTab.AddOnsMenu.SubMenus.Add(
“Disconnect from VMware PowerCLI”, {
Disconnect-VIServer *
},
“Control+Alt+4”
)