Problem using Write-Zip

OK guys, I have just come across powershell about a week ago, and have been busy playing with it, however I have an issue trying to run write-zip

using the following script,

$src = “z:\orders”
$target = “c:\temp\orders.zip”
Get-ChildItem $src -recurse | Write-zip -outputpath $target

i am getting the following error
Write-Zip : Skipping IAN RUFUS. It is not under the entry path root C:\Users\steve.
At line:3 char:40

• Get-ChildItem $src -recurse | Write-zip <<<< -outputpath $target
    • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Z:\orders\Outstanding\IAN RUFUS:String) [W
      rite-Zip], ArgumentException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : FileError,Pscx.Commands.IO.Compression.WriteZipCommand

I have extracted Pscx2.1.1 to my documents folder as suggested in the release notes and run import-module pscx.

Any ideas, thanks

I haven’t found the part of the source code that actually produces that error, but there is a parameter named EntryPathRoot that seems like it should solve that problem:

Get-ChildItem $src -recurse | Write-zip -outputpath $target -EntryPathRoot $src

Thanks Dave
that worked, strange thing is i did the same on my works computer and everthing worked ok.

I’m having the same error message on a fresh installation (Win Srv 2008, PS 4.0, Pscx 3.1):

Get-ChildItem -Recurse 'S:\Test\SourceDir' | Write-Zip -OutputPath 'S:\Test\\Zippie.zip' -IncludeEmptyDirectories
Write-Zip : Skipping TestFile. It is not under the entry path root C:\

The proposed work around doesn’t work either:

$Test = Get-ChildItem -Recurse 'S:\Test\SourceDir'
$Test | Write-Zip -OutputPath 'S:\Test\Zippie.zip' -IncludeEmptyDirectories -EntryPathRoot $Test
Write-Zip : Cannot convert 'Pscx.IO.PscxPathInfo[]' to the type 'Pscx.IO.PscxPathInfo' required by parameter 'EntryPathRoot'. Specified method is not supported.
At line:2 char:99
+ ... -EntryPathRoot $Test

That’s not quite the proposed workaround. You’re passing the results of Get-ChildItem to the EntryPathRoot parameter, but what you should be passing is the same directory name that you passed to Get-ChildItem (in this case, ‘S:\Test\SourceDir’ ). Try this:

Get-ChildItem -Recurse 'S:\Test\SourceDir' |
Write-Zip -OutputPath 'S:\Test\Zippie.zip' -IncludeEmptyDirectories -EntryPathRoot 'S:\Test\SourceDir'

Thank you Dave, you’re right. I’ve tried it and it works flawlessly now. Very strange that I have to use this piece:

-EntryPathRoot ‘S:\Test\SourceDir’

But I’m glad it works now, thanks again :slight_smile: