Powershell -erroraction stop

Hi Guys,

I’m trying to stop the PS script execution when i get errors in SQL server database. I’m trying to select a table but if the table doesn’t exist in the database, script just throws the errors and continue the rest of the execution. Could you please help me on this ?

$SqlConnection = New-Object System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection
$SqlCmd = New-Object System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand
$SqlAdapter = New-Object System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter
$DataSet = New-Object System.Data.DataSet #-ErrorAction Stop
$SqlConnection.ConnectionString = “Server = DBATest; Database = master; Integrated Security = True”
$SqlCmd.CommandText = " use test
select employee from emp where firstname like ‘%ton%’"
$SqlCmd.Connection = $SqlConnection
$SqlAdapter.SelectCommand = $SqlCmd
$SqlAdapter.Fill($DataSet)|out-null
$rownum = $Dataset.Tables[0].Rows.Count

This is just a part of the script where i need to stop the execution and send an email with the error message when the table is not present in the database.
I’m using -ErrorAction Stop but its isn’t working or may be i don’t know where exactly i need use that function.

Thanks in advance

-ErrorAction is a common parameter for Cmdlets, but can’t be used when you’re directly accessing properties and methods of .NET objects. What you’ll need to do, in this case, is use a try/catch block to trap the error. In your catch block, you can send out your email and abort the script:

try
{
    $SqlAdapter.Fill($DataSet)|out-null
}
catch
{
    # Handle the error here, which is stored in the $_ automatic variable.
    # Send an email, etc.

# The return statement causes your current function or script to immediately exit, rather than proceeding with the next lines of code.
    return
}

# You only get here if $SqlAdapter.Fill() didn't produce any errors.
$rownum = $Dataset.Tables[0].Rows.Count

AWESOME David…its working as expected. I have been working on this issue for hours…thanks a lot for your help…