Powershell can not delete registry key, shows Cannot delete a subkey tree because the subkey does not exist

Hi Gays,
I want to use powershell to delete registry key, but failed.
this is my code
Remove-Item -Path "HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ics\UserChoice" -Force

and it shows `Remove-Item : Cannot delete a subkey tree because the subkey does not exist.
At line:1 char:1

• Remove-Item -Path "HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ex …
  •   + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (HKEY_CURRENT_US....ics\UserChoice:String) [Remove-Item], ArgumentException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ArgumentException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveItemCommand`

and I find C# .net can do it.

internal class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            RegistryKey FileExts = Registry.CurrentUser.CreateSubKey("SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\FileExts");

RegistryKey hdr = FileExts.OpenSubKey(".ics", true);

foreach (String key in hdr.GetSubKeyNames()) 

hdr.DeleteSubKey(key);
            hdr.Close();

}
    }

and I want to use it in powershell
then I use this $file=[Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::CurrentUser.CreateSubKey("SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\") $hdr=$file.OpenSubKey(".ics",$true) $hdr

but nothing find in powershell.

does any body know what shoud I do?

You should ALWAYS carefully read the help for the cmdlets you’re about to use including the examples.

There’s even an example for your particular case with subkeys. :wink:

And please BTW: When you post code, sample data, console output or error messages please format it as code using the preformatted text button ( </> ). Simply place your cursor on an empty line, click the button and paste your code.

Thanks in advance

How to format code in PowerShell.org <---- Click :point_up_2:t4: :wink:

sir, I have tried to this way, but failed…

and the registry is exist…

Hmmm … it looks like there are special rights applied to those keys and you cannot delete them easily with PowerShell. A workaround could be to create a *.reg file and use Regedit /s to import it in order to delete those keys.
If you create a file C:\sample\removeRegKey.reg with the content of

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ics\UserChoice]

!! Notice the minus sign right before the path !!

And run the following command in an administrative PowerShell or CMD

regedit /s 'C:\sample\removeRegKey.reg'

it should work then …