Pester TestDrive issue with Com objects

I made a simple test example from a larger test I’ve been working on.

In this example I’m trying to get two tests to pass. The first being that the file has been created to the testdrive, and the second being that the target path of the .lnk file is correct.

I’m not having any luck getting the second test `Has the correct targetPath` to pass.

Any ideas?

It’s a common oversight in PowerShell cmdlets / functions to pass PSPaths on to .NET or COM methods (which know nothing about PowerShell drives / etc). In this case, your Get-Target function is passing its $ShortcutPath parameter straight to $WshShell.CreateShortcut, without resolving it to a file system path that the WScript.Shell object will understand.

You can modify your code to use the same (Resolve-Path $ShortcutPath).ProviderPath method that you’re using in your BeforeAll block, but personally, I prefer to make my function an advanced function and use the $PSCmdlet.GetUnresolvedProviderPathFromPSPath() method. (The reason being that Resolve-Path will throw an error if the file / directory doesn’t exist, and the latter method will just translate the path without caring whether the item exists or not.)

function Set-Shortcut
{
    [CmdletBinding()]
    param (
        [string] $ShortcutPath,
        [string] $Target
    )

$WshShell = New-Object -ComObject WScript.Shell
    $Shortcut = $WshShell.CreateShortcut($PSCmdlet.GetUnresolvedProviderPathFromPSPath($ShortcutPath))
    $Shortcut.TargetPath = $PSCmdlet.GetUnresolvedProviderPathFromPSPath($Target)
    $Shortcut.Save()
}

function Get-Target
{
    [CmdletBinding()]
    param (
        [string] $ShortcutPath
    )

$WshShell = New-Object -ComObject WScript.Shell
    $Shortcut = $WshShell.CreateShortcut($PSCmdlet.GetUnresolvedProviderPathFromPSPath($ShortcutPath))
    return $Shortcut.TargetPath
}

In testing the code, it also appears that the shortcut paths aren’t saving. Not sure why. If you set a breakpoint on the $Shortcut.Save() line, you’ll see what I mean; $Shortcut.TargetPath is blank, even though it was just assigned on the previous line.

Thanks Dave I got it worked out now!

I added a gist example of the full test: Resolving paths in Pester TestDrive · GitHub

Your support has been invaluable for getting me up to date with DSC and Powershell.

Dave, it looks like it’s working for me from that Gist. I updated the Gist, I was using $TargetPath and you were using $Target, perhaps that was the issue?

Yep, I copied and pasted your code and it worked fine. I had already closed my ISE window from before, so I’m not sure what’s different from when I was seeing problems.