op_Addition problem

Hi,
I’m trying to add to a variable the result of three variables and it keeps giving me this error:
“Method invocation failed because [System.Management.Automation.PSObject] doesn’t contain a method named ‘op_Addition’.”

Here is the code:

$Domain = (Get-ADDomain).DistinguishedName
$Query = "Support"
$DistinguishedNames = @()
$DistinguishedNames = Get-ADuser -Filter "Name -like '*$Query*'" -SearchBase $Domain | Select-Object DistinguishedName
$DistinguishedNames += Get-ADGroup -Filter "Name -like '*$Query*'" -SearchBase $Domain | Select-Object DistinguishedName
$DistinguishedNames += Get-ADOrganizationalUnit -Filter "Name -like '*$Query*'" -SearchBase $Domain | Select-Object DistinguishedName

The problem is that I managed doing it a lot of times and now I just can’t get it done…
What I’m trying to do is to keep in only one variable all the results found on a query for the word “Support” on a domain, something like this:

DistinguishedName

CN=G_Support,OU=Support,OU=Groups,OU=Organization,DC=domain,DC=local
CN=SupportUser,OU=Support,OU=Users,OU=Organization,DC=domain,DC=local
OU=Support,OU=Groups,OU=Organization,DC=domain,DC=local

PS: I know that using Get-ADbject I can manage it better, but just wanted to know if there is a way because on Internet I found that the answer for it is just put this “$DistinguishedNames = @()” in the code.

Line 4

$DistinguishedNames = Get-ADuser ....

undoes the benefit of line 3

$DistinguishedNames = @()

Line 4 re-declares $DistinguishedNames as System.Object (Selected.Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADUser) instead of System.Array which is what line 3 does.

To fix the script, change line 4 to read

$DistinguishedNames += Get-ADuser ....

For more information see Practical guide to PowerShell Arrays | Sam's Corner

Sam Boutros,

Nice! Thanks a lot for the fast reply and attention!