newb question - creating functions

Hello

I am new to powerscript - so the answer to my question is probably something simple I am overlooking.

I am attempting to create a function just for testing purposes so that I can play around with how that process works. I can do it in the console without issue just by typing this in

function script:testecho {echo this is a functional test of echo}

calling it by typing in testecho produces the expected result

PS C:\powershell\batch> testecho
this
is
a
functional
test
of
echo

however, putting the same thing in a script does not perform as expected

cls

C:\powershell\batch>Function script:testecho {echo this is a test of the echo function}
‘Function’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\powershell\batch>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

C:\powershell\batch>testecho
‘testecho’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\powershell\batch>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

I am sure I am doing something simple wrong.

Can someone tell me what it is?

thanks

Brent

Hi Brent - You need to source the script before you call the function inside the script.

[pre]

Insert the function inside the script and source it.

C:> . .\Test-Function.ps1

Now call the function.

C:> testecho

[/pre]

Hey Brent,

I’m surprised your test worked, normally you would get an error because you have random strings in a function and Powershell doesn’t know what to do with it…

PS C:\> function Test-Echo {
    This is a test
}

PS C:\> Test-Echo
This : The term 'This' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:2 char:5
+     This is a test
+     ~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (This:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\> 

This is a better ‘echo test’:

PS C:\> function Test-Echo {
    "This is a test"
}

PS C:\> Test-Echo
This is a test

PS C:\> 
however, putting the same thing in a script does not perform as expected

Now, calling a script, you left out some details. To call a script, use dot sourcing, like so:

PS C:\scripts> .\Test-Echo.ps1

PS C:\scripts> C:\Scripts\Test-Echo.ps1
This is a test

In the above, there are 2 results. The first is running:

function Test-Echo {
    "This is a test"
}

If you notice, there is no echo, because you are only loading the function into memory and not calling the function, so you need to call the function:

function Test-Echo {
    "This is a test"
}

Test-Echo

Last, the reason your attempts did work. Powershell is built to be simple for system administrators. That being said, it will do many conversions for you. You need to be careful though because you can see my attempt failed but yours worked. It appears since you built the function in the prompt, Powershell made your echo string into a n array, which should look more like ‘this’,‘is’,‘a’,‘test’; however, Powershell has automatically done the conversion.

PS C:\scripts> function script:testecho {echo this is a functional test of echo}

PS C:\scripts> $test = testecho

PS C:\scripts> $test
this
is
a
functional
test
of
echo

PS C:\scripts> $test.GetType()

IsPublic IsSerial Name                                     BaseType                                                                                                                                                                                              
-------- -------- ----                                     --------                                                                                                                                                                                              
True     True     Object[]                                 System.Array                                                                                                                                                                                          

PS C:\scripts> 

thank you all for the help. It is working now.

Brent