Newb Alert: Passing array as function param

Hello,

I am trying to build a list of computer names and OS architecture and am super stuck.

For far I have;

function get-architecture {
param ($Computername)

Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $computername -Class Win32_Processor -erroraction stop |
select @{Name=‘ComputerName’;Expression={$computername}},@{Name=‘Architecture’;Expression={$_.AddressWidth}} | ft -AutoSize

}

$Computers = @(“Desktop175”, “Slowvostro”, “Desktop190”)

get-architecture -computername $Computers

This gives me;

ComputerName                        Architecture
------------Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â ------------
{Desktop175, Slowvostro, Desktop190}Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 64
{Desktop175, Slowvostro, Desktop190}Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 32
{Desktop175, Slowvostro, Desktop190}Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 64

This is almost right but I want it to display 1 computer name on each line.

Where am I going wrong?

I forgot to mention (but you can most likely tell), I am just starting to learn about functions and creating custom objects. =D

Your issue is with the assignment of your Expression in select object to the $computerName parameter (which contains all 3 computer names).

The easiest solution is to replace your Expression={$computerName} assignment with Expression={$_.__SERVER}. That will set the computer name to the __SERVER property of the WMI objects that are passed in from the previous stage in the pipeline.

Many thanks. I should know better to check all the properties first before asking for help!

May I ask how you would achieve the same results if there were no property which specified the machine name?

Sure. I would do it like this:

$(foreach ($item in $ComputerName) {
    Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $item -Class Win32_Processor -erroraction stop  |
    select @{Name='ComputerName';Expression={$item}},@{Name='Architecture';Expression={$_.AddressWidth}}
}) | ft -AutoSize

Actually, that’s not entirely true. I wouldn’t use format-table in the output. That’s actually an anti-pattern in PowerShell. You should return the objects, and let the caller do the formatting. If you want to specify a default format, even for custom objects, there are ways to do that (See the *-FormatData and *-TypeData cmdlets and the cooresponding *.ps1xml files in $PSHome as examples). Make sure you give your custom object a custom type name though because formatting and type extensions are keyed off of the type name.

OK, thanks again for the help.