Need to extract SCCM client install return code from ccmsetup.log file

I have the following code, but I need to extract the “return code” string as well as whatever numerical value is there, for instance a “0”, or a 1", etc.

I have no idea how to do this.

Here is what I have so far and it works great, but I just want to extract “return code 0”, or “return code 1”.

$SCCMClntReturnCode = @( Get-Content -Path "C:\Windows\ccmsetup\Logs\ccmsetup.log" | Select-Object -Last 1 )

Here is the actual string that I would like to extract from:

![LOG[CcmSetup is exiting with return code 0]LOG]!><time="05:09:58.184+420" da te="10-19-2015" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="1" thread="7776" file="cc msetup.cpp:10879"

Thank you all for your help.

You probably want to use the -match operator, along with a capturing regular expression. Once run, the built-in $matches variable will contain the captured values. This isn’t necessarily easy stuff, but broadly speaking…

“return code (?\d)”

"return code " precedes what you want to capture, and so the (?\d) part would capture a single digit in a named capture group, named “code.”

Heikniemi Hardcoded » PowerShell Basics #4: Matching and capturing with regular expressions might have some more useful detail. There are some great examples.